Brake lights not working

76_620

73 Datsun 510, (Mexican 510) so the these tail lights are stock to the car. brake lights not working. I have running lights, turn signals, headlights, dash lights, ALL LIGHTS, but the brake lights. I have checked and replaced every single fuse, cleaned fuse box, checked for lose/corroded wires up in the engine bay by the fuse box. Replaced brake switch, checked bulbss at the rear. I believe now there’s only one thing ? Possibly a ground ??? Not sure where the ground would be located for brake lights ? Don’t know what else to check. Would appreciate some Guidance thanks.

512_DBD47-5226-47_DD-870_B-_CC746_BF3_A3

Edited by 76_620
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear side clearance, running lights, brake and signal ground through the bulbs to the body. If the ground is bad none of these will work.

Get a $5 test lamp and check there is power at the brake switch and follow it back...

Is it JUST the brake or are all lights not working?

Do both the rear turn signals work??????? This is important to answer because if they do work it proves that the wiring to, and the bulbs and ground are working and need not be checked.

When brake pedal is DOWN the brake signal is sent to the steering column. Here it splits into TWO wires, one for the left and one for the right sides. This is because the brake and the turn signal share the same bulbs. The steering column switch disconnect the brake signal to the turning side and allow the bulbs to flash.

If both brake lights are out it's very unlikely that both wires to the rear have failed.

If the signals work the wiring, plugs, grounds are fine.

Split the steering column 'clam shell' tha covers the ignition switch and turn signal guts. It's just a couple of screws. Now you can get at it.

Check the Green/Yellow wire into the turn signal switch for power when the brake is applied. If no power then something is wrong between here and the pedal switch.

If there is power, remove the steering wheel so you can inspect the internal parts of the turn signal switch. You'll maybe find the Green/Yellow wire may have broken the solder connection. Easy fix with soldering iron. Short of that the switch may be broken. Keep in mind that the signals and the brake light share the same bulbs so on a (for example) right turn, the switch first disconnects the brake power from the rear right bulb and then connects the flasher. The left side is unaffected and the brake light operates normally.  When the signal returns to the neutral position the flasher disconnects and the brake re-connects.

Expose the 19mm? steering wheel nut. Mark or take note of the wheel position so that it can be put back on the same spline position. Loosen nut but leave on the last two threads. With the flats of your hands strike the undersides of the steering wheel driving it towards you. It should jump off the splines and stop against the wheel nut. As an added precaution turn your head so you don't accidentally knock your teeth out. The nut should hold.... Then remove nut and start washer. Now you can inspect the turn signal switch properly. If soldering needed it's easily removed from the column with a screwdriver.

• 5 years later...

So, I’m reading this thread and thinking I may have a similarly confusing issue. 

On my 72 2 door 510 I had no brake lights suddenly and I thought it was my brake light switch at the pedal but buying a new one has changed nothing. And I’m not actually sure how long this has been happening so I’m not sure what a random cause could be. 

here is where I am at:

Car at rest, off, no lights on but when you hit the brake ALL of these come on: front blinkers/running lights, front side markers, rear side markers, license plate lights, entire taillight array, AND THE DAMN SPEEDO DASH LIGHT! 

Car with headlight on, all lights turn on around the car BUT the brake pedal does nothing EXCEPT FOR a Slight flicker in the right taillight. 

I feel the electrical gremlin nipping at my ass and I hate it! 

The brake switch sends power to the two rear brake lights which are grounded. That's it.

The lighting switch in either of the two positions, sends power to dash, side marker, license, front amber and rear red parking lights.  

The only place these two separate circuits are close to each other is the harness running through the cabin under the carpet on the hump?, under the rear seat over to the right side into the trunk and to the tail lights.

First guess is the rear seat has pinched this harness or it's pinched or damaged somewhere else possibly hit by cargo in the trunk? around the shifter?

Wow! I hope that's right. Sounds probably. I just put in ALL REAR LEDs per someone's upgrade kit I bought here and thought: I bet it the LEDS! BUT, after I noticed this issue, I swapped back to the old bulbs and it didn't seem to fix it. BUT, I think I may have only swapped one side. In other words, maybe I need to run all the lights back to stock first to check...