New member to the Ratsun club

PennyPincher720

Hey guys, new member here. A few months ago I got my hands on a neat little truck and I cant even begin to tell you how helpful you here have been even as a lurker! 

I'll start with the details on the truck. It's an 82 720 4x4 with a 4 speed and the carbed twin spark, 2.0 I think? Single cab, short bed. The truck is in really rough shape but it always starts, even if it cant idle to save its life. I made the name PennyPincher because I traded a car I paid $400 for this truck from my friend and I plan on doing things very DIY oriented.

Hard to stress how beat this truck is. Cab floors are gone, replaced with expanding foam (not my doing). Bed is mostly there, side trim panels are rotted bad and tailgate is beat. Worst of all the frame is awful! Its rusty in the rear with a crack, and the midsection has a real ugly patch on it. 

The truck shouldn't drive straight, but it does!

It's been hacked to hell by the guy my friend got it from but now it's with me and considering the condition it's in I have no problem with not restoring it, but turning it into a nice trail rig. 

It currently has a slightly blown headgasket lol. Leaking coolant towards the rear but it didnt mix with the oil, tightening down the head didnt help. So I gotta order a gasket kit and the tensioner wedge and get her back on the road soon. 

I've just gotten off work so I'll check back later in the day after I get some sleep.

Hope to hear from yall!

• Like 2
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun.

That's an odd combination but after all these years anything is possible to have kept it on the road. The engine ID is between the two exhaust manifold pipes below the 2 and 3 spark plugs in the head, stamped into a flat spot on the top of the block. I would expect this to be a Z22 engine.

Q9xYbRS.jpg

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct Mike it is in fact a Z22. Just checked a few minutes ago. 

It would appear the truck is original, just tired as hell. A 5 speed would be nice, but it cruises at 75 or so pretty well. Some sound dampening would help a lot lol.

Anyways thanks Max, I'll get a few pics up shortly. The truck was a few different colors when I got it but I've since did an awful rhinoline type job on it to make it one color. 

It looks as bad as the rest of the truck but it's one color now so hey...

• Like 1

m6vOPQG.jpg

Here's a pic of the truck before I painted it. I'm on a castle with full zoom in the camera lol

SRVCh2R.jpg

And here it is right after my roll on paint job. 

Still gotta do the wheels, and get some tires! The Kumhos on there are ready to give at any second, very dry rotted. 

• Like 1

You can also see in the second pic that the truck has what I think is an 80s S10 rear bumper on it, oddly enough.

Also has power seats out of what I'm guessing is a 90s Infiniti I20 or something. They arent wired up (or bolted in) but I have new leather covers out of a Ford Transit that I'm going to make work and even put heat pads in for the winter.

The truck has a blue interior but everything is worn out. The new seats are going to be tan and black so I'll probably redo the dash black and make new door cards and throw a black carpet on the floor.

• Like 1

Well if it has an electric pump it's just forward of the right rear wheel on the frame. There will be a block off plate on the front right side of the head. Pictures are worth a thousand words...

E5YNR3Q.jpg

Z20 and Z22 head at top (with block off plate) and Z24 head under it. Z24 heads have squarish intake ports with rounded corners. Z20 and Z22 heads have round ports.  Only the Z20 and Z22 heads have the injector notches in them. (I ground notches in the Z24 head they don't come like that)

• Like 1

Well perhaps keeping a spare handy till the day the original one gives up the ghost is just as good. I like the idea of jumpstarting the truck if the battery where to die but I think once it starts the alternator will run the pump anyways...

The one in the truck whines pretty loud, but I'm not sure if its ready to quit or it's just normal.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike, yeah I realize I could just make something to wedge in there but I figure thisll be a sure thing that'll itll hold the tensioner, 40 bucks for everything why not.

I miss driving the truck, I may order that stuff tomorrow night. Need to get the gas sipper back up and running considering one job is 15 miles from me one way, and another is delivering food with fuel at my expense.

Anyone have a Weber for sale?

• Like 1

Mike do you happen to have a schematic for the window tracks and etc? My passenger window seems to be binding halfway up the track and it would seem that the tracks are bone dry. I can get the window all the way down but halfway up it starts to twist.

I'd like to take it apart and get it all freed up if I could. It's just rains into the truck, tonight it pouring out...

• Like 1

If you have the door card off you should be able to see what's causing the binding. First, is the glass free to slide up the window channel? Is there a foreign object caught in that horrizontal runner? 08911-10637

• Like 1

I have widow parts like regulators and tracks.  Your squeegees might have hardened and be causing to much resistance on the glass.  I had this problem in the past but I live in Phoenix and rubber parts do not stand a chance against the AZ sun.