oukippy

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking at headlight upgrades. I was thinking of an H4 upgrade just to keep things from getting too modern but my research points to needing all kinds of electrical upgrades (relays/wiring/alternator) to support them. I'm guessing LEDs don't require such upgrades since they generally have lower draw. Can someone confirm? Thanks. 

HIDs also use about the same power as the original headlamps but 2-3 times more light.Always use a projector housing or you'll blind oncoming traffic. LEDs in a reflector or projector housings tend to throw shitty light patterns because the light source is not as small as a bulb filament or an HID. Many are less bright, so shop carefully, there are a lot of shit LED products out there. A LOT!

Yeah. I wouldn't just throw led bulbs in the stock housings. That wall of blinding light crap drives me crazy.

What I was thinking is getting some of the sealed complete units like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/184067971805 to replace the low beams and keep the stock yellow highs, then deleting the signals under the front bumper and smoothing the holes and then running the amber halos as the signals. Or maybe replacing all 4 lights with the LED units and just running the inner ones as the highs and the outers as lows and signals. 

14 hours ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

Yeah. I wouldn't just throw led bulbs in the stock housings. That wall of blinding light crap drives me crazy.

What I was thinking is getting some of the sealed complete units like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/184067971805 to replace the low beams and keep the stock yellow highs, then deleting the signals under the front bumper and smoothing the holes and then running the amber halos as the signals. Or maybe replacing all 4 lights with the LED units and just running the inner ones as the highs and the outers as lows and signals. 

How you going to see the turn signal with the headlamp on and in your eyes?????

Get one and compare to the other side. Shine light on a wall. There should be a DARK cut off so you don't blind everyone like those fucking bikers do. Those are cheapo enough to throw away when you don't like them.

You want this...

3BGqYU744WnbshIvXuLUEhSZZvWJBS6iJXl7z6eR

Not this...

1127901d1490171972-time-real-cut-off-bea

I run LEDs in my other vehicles and I test, aim, etc. very thoroughly before using them. I have been blinded by enough jeepers and Silverado boys to know understand the danger and annoyance of poorly implemented lighting. I wasn't necessarily thinking those specific lamps, was just using them as an example. Thanks guys. 

16 hours ago, Negative Ghostrider said:

I know this is an old thread but I have been looking at headlight upgrades. I was thinking of an H4 upgrade just to keep things from getting too modern but my research points to needing all kinds of electrical upgrades (relays/wiring/alternator) to support them. I'm guessing LEDs don't require such upgrades since they generally have lower draw. Can someone confirm? Thanks. 

I've finally bought some Chinese led headlights, 15$ each. Totally plug and play (I've chosen the model with the shorter depth), I didn't have to cut or modify anything.

Fact is I don't know if they blind other vehicles because I barely never drive at night (it's not my daily). My purpose was to use the angel eyes as daylights and it fulfils my expectation.

1589920089-led.jpg

1589920079-led2.jpg  

1 minute ago, oukippy said:

I've finally bought some Chinese led headlights, 15$ each. Totally plug and play (I've chosen the model with the shorter depth), I didn't have to cut or modify anything.

Fact is I don't know if they blind other vehicles because I barely never drive at night (it's not my daily). My purpose was to use the angel eyes as daylights and it fulfils my expectation.

1589920089-led.jpg

1589920079-led2.jpg  

Yeah, those look good for sure but I gotta know they're safe. Even if I only end up driving it at night 1% of the time I don't want to be a dick or at risk for a ticket 100% of that 1%. It's just a peeve of mine. 

4 hours ago, oukippy said:

Fact is I don't know if they blind other vehicles because I barely never drive at night (it's not my daily). 

Drive it up to a wall 30' away then go out tonight and turn them on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, FrankRizzo said:

FWIW

I installed Hella halogen H1/H4 retrofits a year ago, then recently swapped the bulbs to LED's from Amazon. They work great.

Im all LED now.

did you have to modify the headlight buckets to fit the notches that are molded on the back of headlights cuz i bought some on ebay from a vendor from petaluma stating they work for 521/510/620/710/810 vehicles but the tabs don't match up with the slots on the buckets and where did you get your headlights/#

Edited by gene knight
On 5/29/2020 at 1:16 AM, gene knight said:

did you have to modify the headlight buckets to fit the notches that are molded on the back of headlights cuz i bought some on ebay from a vendor from petaluma stating they work for 521/510/620/710/810 vehicles but the tabs don't match up with the slots on the buckets and where did you get your headlights/#

Yep.

Actually I modded the back of the lens housing, not the bucket. I snipped the edge of the one slot that did not line up.

• Like 1

I just installed the same ones on my 620,yes they are compatible you need to cut the base of the headlights with a grinder, it's a little time consuming but they look great, I also changed the h4 connectors which I bought from Ebay really cheap. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, Pauly7285 said:

did you have any issues with the tabs on headlights/notches on housings lining up

• 3 weeks later...

the  led /H4 headlights i bought wont line up with the notches on my buckets and the tabs are ceramic/glass so i can not modify them to fit. luckily the ebay  vendor refunded my money and said to keep them but i want to use H4/LED headlights who can help me with this for my 521

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the Hella H4 kits. Hopefully those line up... Haven't tried to put them in yet since I don't have the LEDs. Don't want to use the H4's, since they use more power than stock, and my wiring is already sketchy enough.

On 7/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, ducky said:

I just purchased the Hella H4 kits. Hopefully those line up... Haven't tried to put them in yet since I don't have the LEDs. Don't want to use the H4's, since they use more power than stock, and my wiring is already sketchy enough.

Like  I said above, they wont.

You'll need to snip the end of one of the metal tabs on the back of the lens. You'll see, one of the tabs is a little bit too large.

• Like 1

I ended up putting them in yesterday, Yes, one of the tabs is wider, but the headlights on the truck were the exact same way, so I didn't worry about it. They're held down, so I'm not too worried about it.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2020 at 9:08 AM, Negative Ghostrider said:

Well hello, neighbor. I like the blue halos. Did you mod them or were they like that? 

I got them off ebay.. there not cheap garbage .. these are glass and fitmit was perfect... dot approved.. they came with blue halos I added hid... I like led but headlights I'm all hid... anyway the 4 halo lights were 120 shipped