Nissan a14 motor reaching 100kw

pierre2212

K Appley I'm not sure what parts you are having problems obtaining but most parts are available though Rockauto or other similar companies.  All of the gaskets are available, as well as starters, water pumps, alternators etc.

I'm rebuilding an A15 and in the last six months I've ordered, head gasket, timing cover gasket, pan gasket, bearings, clutch disc and a water pump. I even ordered up a B210 ignition box to go with a spare B210 distributor I had lying around. 

The heads and blocks can be machined to fix and damage or wear that may occur. These motors are sturdy as all get out. I'm revving the the motors to between 8200-8800 using stock crank and rods. The only reason I'm not using stock pistons is because flat tops aren't available in the size I need to get the compression ratio up to 11.5-1.

All of the bearings and syncros are available for the gearboxes are available as well.

If you are concerned about the quality of non Nissan replacement parts I wouldn't be as all of the available parts I've bought are name brand (SKF, Felpro, Hastings).

I'm a big fan of the using the Datsun A-series engine in Spridgets and the like for the reason you mentioned.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input folk's.

To be specific as to the parts it would be nice to have readily available for the A series I would put at the top of my list the H89 head and second the mid 70's factory B 210 cam. The JDM H 89 head rather than the smog head we got is superior. I'm fortunate to have one on an A15 in my favorite Midget. The B210 cam of the mid 70's isn't a bad factory cam either. I've always been a little leary of regrinds going the distance.

I do believe that Oz got the H89 head.

Rock Auto has been a regular supplier of parts for me as well but lots of the NOS stuff is going away. I just purchased a set of pan gaskets that are not NOS and they are just made to sell cheaply. Don't think they will work since the cork gasket is way too thin.

As to alternator's I like to run Ford Festiva skeleton framed alternators. Requires modifying the mount but the idea of not having a parasitic fan to cool the alternator is attractive to me.

Also should add parts for the 5 speed transmission. Its my understanding that we can't get the factory sychros anymore and the speedo drive gear I could use as well. The South Africans got these transmissions. Believe that Indonesia got the same engine transmission combo till recently as well as SA but we have been shut off of receiving parts. Just irks me!!

Kurt 

Kurt I haven't checked in about 18 months but the 60 series syncros where still available in the after market. I can't remember if it was Rivergate or somebody else that had them.

Peter Zekert has GX heads in various states of tune between $500 and $2,500. The last one Imgot from him was professionally ported and came complete for $700.

Thanks, Tom. I'll have to have a talk with Peter Zekert. Yes, on the sycros but I have heard they are aftermarket  and not as good as factory. Will at Rivergate fits them and I have not discussed them with him. I have one transmission that needs going through but, as of now, I haven't got a "round tuit"!

Right now I have a factory rebuilt A14 ready to go in a car and bits to build up another A15 except for a really good head so this Peter guy might be my answer. The A15 would be to replace a fresh A14 US spec B210 engine that I just fitted to a Sprite but this car has such spunk that an A15 might not be needed or desired. Maybe not quite as torquey As the A15 in my Midget.

• 2 weeks later...