Greetings! Intro/build thread

Ben_upde

10 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Running and driving is the best motivation to keep going.... 

Congratulations.....

Thank you! Definitely feels good and gets me excited to see how much quicker and planted she’ll feel

10 hours ago, Draker said:

Gotta feel good! 

Definitely does! Thanks!!

10 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Noting the .:R32's and several Audi's in the background!!!!!!!!

Sounds cool. Would make me look twice!!

The silver wagon is the donor as it got a 2.7t swap from a B5 S4 several years ago. 

6 hours ago, 5t341tH said:

damn driving feels so good! i can see why you swapped in a vaj engine in

Even if it was just around the block, makes a huge difference. And yeah, I kinda know my way around the vaggie computers so it was an easy choice. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

This begs the question: Is it possible to swap a 2.7T into a 620?

"asking for a friend" LOL

More power is always better... 

After setting it up for a 1.8t the 2.7t would ‘bolt’ in, not sure on width but it would fit better with a big single like the A4 got 😂

Good to have in mind. I plan on doing an engine swap for the next phase of my build and I'm ultimately thinking of going V6.

I saw a Rat Rod a few years ago on the web, the guy used a BMW M series something V8 and it was quite cool & different (see below). He had a running car to use to sort out what was needed & what wasn't before doing the actual swap. While not my style of build, I really like when someone thinks outside the box.

The Art of Hot Rodding – Mike Burroughs' BMW-Powered 1928 Ford Model A

• Like 2

When I was a kid, there was the coolest Porsche V8 powered 32 Ford at the Oakland Roadster Show. I loved that car. The same car recently went across the block at Bring a Trailer and the high bid was $31K. Obviously a no sale. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1932-ford-phaeton-deuception/

Outside the box engine swaps are the ultimate expression of character.

Porsche 928 V8 Powered Street Rod For Sale | FLATSIXES

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a whole lot has happened. Took front wheel spacers out because I was creaming my front fender arches. Gotta lift the front up a bit with torsion bar adjustment and bolt the bed down. Cooling fan is roughly wired to at least operate. She sits at 180° solidly so happy there. 
Did a short short parking lot pull but man she sounds good!

Just been tidying up things everywhere. Took its first trip to Home Depot (like 8 blocks away 🤣) to pick up a couple things. Performed as expected with no drama llama. 
front plate installed for maximum street cred 🧐
wayxc49.jpg

• Like 4

I didn’t like the Audi ECU I was using as I don’t have a very defined layout of the maps and such so I went to a local you-pull-it yard and got one that is the same series as what I had played with on my Mk4 GTI I had at ~270bhp on a slightly bigger turbo with many other mods. Needless to say being able to disable all the emissions BS that isn’t required or necessary for a vehicle of this era, and being able to accurately adjust timing, fueling, airflow restrictions and all the other goodies makes for a fun AND quick as hell ride! At 6-7psi she SCOOTS!!

• Like 2

Little case of dumass syndrome hit me twice 🤣

No matter what pinion angle I set the rear end to, I could NOT get rid of a 35mph driveline vibration. Positive extreme, negative extreme, exact same vibration at 35 🤦🏻‍♂️
turns out I forgot to loc-tite and torque the driveline adapter to the transmission. She was loosey goosey. Glad I used grade 12.9 bolts. Cleaned that all up, torqued it proper like and now I can fine tune pinion to remove the 60mph slight vibration. 
Also completely spaced removing the residual valve from the master cylinder for the rear brakes. They always felt a but tight and no matter how much I loosened the park brake cables, no change. Turns out when you hold 10 psi in calipers, they stay activated 🤦🏻‍♂️
a little googling revealed Datzenmike’s post about it with the breakdown photo and voila! fixed and rear brakes function as expected now!

More fine tuning and cleanup happening slowly. 100°+ weeks make it hard to go out and play. 

Edited by Ben_upde
  • Like 2

Battery finally located and permanently mounted. Just need to make a bracket for the disconnect to attach to

1AM3brH.jpg

ECU is going to stay here but after i’m sure all the bugs are worked out i’ll wrap and clean everything up better

rWN4I8f.jpg

• Like 2
On 8/16/2020 at 11:02 AM, Ben_upde said:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Also completely spaced removing the residual valve from the master cylinder for the rear brakes. They always felt a but tight and no matter how much I loosened the park brake cables, no change. Turns out when you hold 10 psi in calipers, they stay activated 🤦🏻‍♂️

This needs to be archived. So many people overlook the residual valves. Some forget to remove them when converting to discs, some forget to install them when converting to a different style master cylinder.

• Like 2

Drover her to work today. Had to give everyone a ride naturally. The overwhelming reaction is it rides like a go-cart, but not harshly so 😁

Anyway, threw it on the lift to check a few things, attend to a few things and finalize a couple more. Figured i’d offer up some underside pics for you all to critique 🧐

nVZulET.jpg

6mHE95J.jpg
yDgvbzn.jpg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, nissan720 said:

Bruh that is really nice and well thought out. Good Job!!!

Thank you!

This’s is the first time I’ve been able to just do a build according to a plan and not make a huge number of compromises due to budget constraints. It’s so fun to drive 😁

• Like 1

Did a little playing around today

aT2A7KR.jpg

since i has previously repaired the hood damage I decided to pull it off and have a go at throwing on some color. 
tg5r2ro.jpg
It looks way better in pictures than in person because the gun i thought i put away clean many many years ago, wasn’t.....

Tons of debris and crap, and horrible tiger striping due to plugged up nozzles. I’ll sand her down and try again tomorrow with a clean gun and proper prep work and it should turn out great. 
I’m loving the color regardless of the flaws in my initial attempt. 

• Like 3

Bad day in Datto land for me today. Decided to take a short freeway jaunt to get a feel for current gearing and decide what to go with when I start putting together a 9”. 3:73’s should be great with my shorty rear tires. Anyway, didn’t make it in to work. Driveshaft decided it didn’t want to spin any more. Luckily it gave up while I had slowed way down and was on the off ramp. No truck damage and I thought the rear end had given up, turns out transmission issues 😕

M20bxNm.jpg

Output shaft bearing did not like the driveline speeds at 60 😳

AKXqhb2.jpg

L6uJXtR.jpg
luckily the damage was limited to just the bearing and race. It spun every so slightly in the transmission housing but not enough to do anything other than lightly gall the aluminum. 
Found one of only 2 bearings available in the states and ordered it up. Should be here in a week or so. Better than bringing one in from Germany and waiting 2-900 weeks for it to show up 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

And as typical for 2020, the bearings ‘in stock’ in California weren’t. Nothing was available in North America and no hope was had for getting one in any reasonable timeframe. Nice weather is upon us and I want to drive my damn truck!

Cue machinist buddy that says ‘I don’t advise this’ but then cuts me out a spacer so I can replace Audi bearing with a commonly available one that is dimensionally identical aside from a 5.8mm larger ID. Load and RPM ratings exceeded the Audi part so I said how much? He said ‘I don’t know what you are talking about....’. 
nnwVvIq.jpg

no more sounding like a race transmission with straight cut gears 🧐  

• Like 1