Greetings! Intro/build thread

Ben_upde

Transmission mount complete aside from welding my ‘custom’ ¾” plate mounts to the frame to bolt the flipped stock crossmember to. Using an Energy Suspension urethane universal mount that fit the trans with only minor modifications. 

s37O1RN.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Heavy duty!

I moreso needed them that thick for the drop of the crossmember. Might still need to add a small spacer to get another ⅛”, or do some trans tunnel beating. 

Either way, they outta hold up that half of the 400lb engine/trans combo 🤣

• Like 2

So this fell out

OrCkbcl.jpg

along with initial install of the lower control arms. Getting antsy. Should be able to at least tack-weld everything in place this week or next, make sure it’s all gonna fit as intended then burn her together and celebrate!

JnlcV4T.jpg

• Like 5

Spent a little time this evening grinding and mocking up axle brackets

2I1Zayn.jpg

I didn’t like how far rearward the Beebani watts link bracket sat, occupying space my fuel cell would otherwise occupy. After trimming and lightly reshaping I am super happy with where it sits now. 

ALmTBpQ.jpg

Guess tomorrow I gotta drag my welder home... 😁

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I do understand brand management, but I really do dislike when shops have their logos cut into the most obvious parts of the steel. I tend to cover up or get rid of logos on my builds, and that has caused problems...

This truck is starting to shape up nicely.

I’m usually in the same boat however these inset logos are very subtle and will be obstructed by the fuel cell anyway. If there is an obnoxious logo somewhere that I don’t want, I will remove it in a heartbeat, no fux given 😂

• Like 1

Picture barf incoming!

aFVQTiU.jpg

axle brackets all tacked up

HfZbH2y.jpg

Top link crossbar tacked in place. Pinion angle isn’t set here, just approximated

qzRK8dc.jpg

Lower bars at full stuff

nYAM8N8.jpg

Just some quick adjustments to try to get the bars parallel(ish) at expected ride height

J4gtBAN.jpg

Shock/spring crossmember tacked in place and fitment checked

d38uxqc.jpg

Shock fitment test at full stuff

XUdwpoV.jpg

My only concern/unknown; watts link bar alignment at expected ride height

yupnn4a.jpg

• Like 4

With a weldy weld here

yi0tIeb.jpg

and a weldy weld there

0AlNPwU.jpg

and there

lRznV4W.jpg

and there

3hv08Hp.jpg

And at least a dozen other inconvenient places 😂

the 3 link is installed. I’ll work on setting all the angles of the dangles when it’s on the ground again. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I would strongly suggest making the frame side upper link bracket adjustable. If you want this truck to actually handle well, it would be nice to be able to do some tuning.

The hardest part is packaging everything to fit under the bed without cutting. That is my overall goal so if I lose a little bit of adjustability for maximum truck utilization that may be what stays. If it’s really horrible handling wise I can relocate how it mounts to the pumpkin and crossmember to alter angles. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Looks like you know what you are doing here, nice work. But all of this is only to get rid of the leaf springs? Or does it have any other use? 

Essentially yes, however it is replacing the leaf springs with a far superior method of positioning the axle under the truck as well as eliminating the possibility of axle wrap/hop with my much more powerful powerplant. 

Honestly the only reason I even did it was I got the kit as a massive discount. Well worth it, but retail price would have been too large of a budget fudge. 

• Like 4

Set the bed back down in place and put the truck on the floor again. My compressor at home only goes to 120psi so that’s all I could put into the air shocks at the moment. However..........

EkwsSaT.jpg

here’s where it sits at 120psi 😃

ywfTDLg.jpg

awkward angle but looking straight from the side the links are sitting damn near parallel to each other and the ground!

inisvpz.jpg

And here is with no air. I have to trim the wheel lip under the flare on this side (did 3 of 4 and apparently forgot this one) so the bed is actually  lifting slightly. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Nice work, love those turbines B)

Thank you

it’s turning into a larger project than planned but I finally feel like I at the tail end of this part. A little wiring to finish, a driveshaft to get made and a few small things here and there to fab/finalize and I should be able to enjoy her again for a bit before winter 🤞

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I just noticed that the link system uses the original front spring mount. That's cool.

That was kinda the major final selling point for me to snag it. I didn’t feel like messing with a ton of geometry setting up a suspension. This made ⅔ of it almost bolt in. 

Fits nicely 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

How has it been a month since i’ve touched it?!

Got exhaust parts. Still waiting on a pair of 90° bends to begin fabbing the exhaust up but everything else is here and waiting for me

o4MWSOq.jpg

I REALLY wanted to have a through body tip out of each lower beside like this but the driveline is destroying my budget

uBkECNX.jpg

Going with this style; though about cutting a rectangle and going through the body with it but....

GyXFGPx.jpg

It’s not the look I want and patching it later will be a ton of work so i’ll angle them down like so and reassess in the future

R5JA13j.jpg

• Like 5

Started fabbing the exhaust this evening. I was able to clearance the tunnel/floor near the torsion bar crossmember enough to get a 2.5” pipe through the area for now. In the future i’ll go coilovers and remove/modify the crossmember for more room and beat the floor back into place. But for now, a few pics

3coHM8H.jpg

tdN333X.jpg

cklSIzC.jpg

• Like 2