Greetings! Intro/build thread

Ben_upde

2 hours ago, Lawlis said:

So what systems are you swapping other than the drivetrain? I think it's a great idea and something I'd like to do as well. Maybe a 2.0T for me.

The truck is going to be externally stock aside from JDM style mods like flares, fender mirrors, lip, etc. 

The interior is also going to remain as stock looking as possible aside from my replacment ‘racing’ seats that replaced the putrid smelling and horribly decomposed stock seats. 

As far as anything else, full electronic, coil on plug ignition means no need for any of the Datsun ignition setup at all. Massive fuel pressure differences call for the in-tank, high flow Walbro 450lph pump I installed in the fuel cell i’ll be relocating under the rear of the bed in place of the spare tire carrier. I’ll be leaving steering ‘stock’ for now aside from D21 adjustable tie rod ends and new bushings/joints everywhere. Braking is going to be D21 discs up front and trooper rear discs out back using the stock booster and master cylinder for now. The Audi transmission also uses hydraulic clutch so I should be able to just make a hose to connect stock Datsun clutch master to Audi slave and be good. Dimensions between the slave cylinders is really close. I’ll be using the full Audi engine harness to run the engine and related systems. The stock 620 headlight harness will be rerouted hidden but otherwise function the same. I’ll have a custom 1-piece driveshaft made after I get everything 100% set. Using the Audi shifter mechanism pared down to just essentials in the spot the datsun shifter sat. 

Not really much else to it I suppose. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Other systems?

Well the EI (electronic ignition) distributor (aka matchbox) and matching coil from a '78 and up is a nice ignition up grade. Better output and no points to replace.

A higher output internally regulated alternator is nice.

A high volume KA oil pump.

A front disc brake kit.

A 5 speed was optional from '77 up.

If I were sticking to the L engine, some of this may apply. My truck being a ‘79 had the ‘matchbox’ distributor stock (was missing but plugs and wiring still there).  My truck also came with discs up front so I can easily upgrade to the D21 setup, which I got for really cheap from a junkyard. 

48 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Other systems?

Well the EI (electronic ignition) distributor (aka matchbox) and matching coil from a '78 and up is a nice ignition up grade. Better output and no points to replace.

A higher output internally regulated alternator is nice.

A high volume KA oil pump.

A front disc brake kit.

A 5 speed was optional from '77 up.

I guess systems probably wasn't the right word for it. For me when I get started I'd like to retro fit the A/C system and if it doesn't require too much fabrication, getting the awd going as well. I don't have any experience yet with the 620 yet because I'm picking my first one up on Monday. I'm just trying to read around and get ideas for what I want to do.

22 minutes ago, Ben_upde said:

The truck is going to be externally stock aside from JDM style mods like flares, fender mirrors, lip, etc. 

The interior is also going to remain as stock looking as possible aside from my replacment ‘racing’ seats that replaced the putrid smelling and horribly decomposed stock seats. 

As far as anything else, full electronic, coil on plug ignition means no need for any of the Datsun ignition setup at all. Massive fuel pressure differences call for the in-tank, high flow Walbro 450lph pump I installed in the fuel cell i’ll be relocating under the rear of the bed in place of the spare tire carrier. I’ll be leaving steering ‘stock’ for now aside from D21 adjustable tie rod ends and new bushings/joints everywhere. Braking is going to be D21 discs up front and trooper rear discs out back using the stock booster and master cylinder for now. The Audi transmission also uses hydraulic clutch so I should be able to just make a hose to connect stock Datsun clutch master to Audi slave and be good. Dimensions between the slave cylinders is really close. I’ll be using the full Audi engine harness to run the engine and related systems. The stock 620 headlight harness will be rerouted hidden but otherwise function the same. I’ll have a custom 1-piece driveshaft made after I get everything 100% set. Using the Audi shifter mechanism pared down to just essentials in the spot the datsun shifter sat. 

Not really much else to it I suppose. 

Thanks for the in depth response. What Audi did you get your engine off of?

14 minutes ago, Lawlis said:

I guess systems probably wasn't the right word for it. For me when I get started I'd like to retro fit the A/C system and if it doesn't require too much fabrication, getting the awd going as well. I don't have any experience yet with the 620 yet because I'm picking my first one up on Monday. I'm just trying to read around and get ideas for what I want to do.

If your truck has AC already, retrofitting the Audi stuff to work with the Datsun stuff isn’t gonna be that difficult. Pretty much all AC compressors operate the same way. 

As far as getting quattro working, that is going to be an expensive endeavor. The way I have my engine sitting in the truck, which is fairly far forward to some engine swaps I have seen, the front wheel output hibs are still almost a foot behind where the front axle centerline is. Not to mention all the crossmembers and components in the way, it’s really not worth the effort in my mind. RWD is going to be too much fun in this anyway. 

Finally got a free couple hours with full welding gases and suppliesto get this charge pipe sorted. Still need to final weld everything but super happy with how it worked out!

4rvVXvg.jpg

Dwm0XNN.jpg

fGW9NHO.jpg

hQO9IU8.jpg

P8k5ZdV.jpg

CTG1cqZ.jpg

8I1JSr5.jpg

NgsO0Fh.jpg

Not quite the lowest thing. Not ideal but stays hidden and it’s not like these have a ton of crush room anyway ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided I didnt like the external crossover tube setup I had made for the radiator so I converted it to a ‘dual flow’ or ‘Scirocco type’ of radiator by splitting the tank in half and welding the outlet port on the lower half. Flow goes about like

OC54hkC.jpg

Finalized with original lower outlet plugged with some plate aluminum

iw6hU5z.jpg

And fully welded the charge tube finally. She’s not stacked dimes pretty, but the welds are solid and leak free. About all you can ask for with a spool gun vs TIG which I have neither the equipment nor the experience with ??‍♂️

UNYKiO6.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Oh, to have that much room for dattos

How true!!! The shop (24 X 36) is almost full with my Dad's stuff (he's been gone since 2001), and my stuff almost fills the rest. My vehicles have to set halfway in the roll up door because of lack of space.

4 hours ago, 620slodat said:

How true!!! The shop (24 X 36) is almost full with my Dad's stuff (he's been gone since 2001), and my stuff almost fills the rest. My vehicles have to set halfway in the roll up door because of lack of space.

This section of the shop is 50x100, added onto an existing building that was approx 60x60. 

It’s my work though so if I stack a ton of stuff around here it takes up room for money making work.