Ben_upde

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, Ben_upde said:

The seal swelled and stuck in the bore and tore. At least they are inexpensive. 

The seal is unlikely to have swelled. These are made and assembled probably in China. Just shitty standards and $2 an hour workers. I just replaced my slave recently. You're god damned right I took it apart and checked for metal shavings in the bore, seal in backwards? and missing anything. It seemed ok I thought the seal was a bit flimsy, but I hear horror stories all the time. If you pay $15 for it, what did they spend making it? I lubed it with brake fluid so it wouldn't start dry and assembled it.

Years ago I bought the rebuild kit from Nissan for $12. Had EVERYTHING but the casting, even had a rubber cover for the nipple.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The seal is unlikely to have swelled. These are made and assembled probably in China. Just shitty standards and $2 an hour workers. I just replaced my slave recently. You're god damned right I took it apart and checked for metal shavings in the bore, seal in backwards? and missing anything. It seemed ok I thought the seal was a bit flimsy, but I hear horror stories all the time. If you pay $15 for it, what did they spend making it? I lubed it with brake fluid so it wouldn't start dry and assembled it.

Years ago I bought the rebuild kit from Nissan for $12. Had EVERYTHING but the casting, even had a rubber cover for the nipple.

It was an original clutch master cylinder. It would function fine for a couple clutch presses, then stop returning. Upon disassembly the seal was indeed very swelled and squishy. Was it due to poor brake fluid/whatever liquid was in the reservoir? Likely. Either way, the replacement was made decently enough and my clutch works. Drove it home so i’m happy enough ??

• Like 2

I think brake components are rubber or rubber related and need brake fluid, which is NOT a petroleum product. Any petroleum product will degrade and swell rubber so never lube or oil anything that will come in contact with the brake fluid.

It's easy for engine oil spray to get all over the dust boot. It swells and falls apart or sags. Then the oil can get at the cylinder bore and maybe get inside.

• Like 1

Acquired another grill last weekend that was in better condition and had headlight rings. Decided to do a little cleanup and repaint. Still have to polish the headlight rings and install them, then clear coat everything for maximum street cred...

6zD2BTn.jpg

• Like 3

I had a Hurst T handle on my '70 Dart. You know those incredibly heavy cast grippy things. I noticed on power shifts you could feel the weight resisting the shift, and your hand wants to rotate around the shifter. I eventually got rid of it and put the stock ball back on. It's like a friction less heim joint. A ball is the superior shape, or at least a hemisphere on top..

• Like 1
On 8/25/2018 at 1:55 AM, Ben_upde said:

Acquired another grill last weekend that was in better condition and had headlight rings. Decided to do a little cleanup and repaint. Still have to polish the headlight rings and install them, then clear coat everything for maximum street cred...

6zD2BTn.jpg

Look a sweet. What did you use to paint it, just rattle cans?

• Like 1

I've used a few of the new slave cylinders.  I don't care where they're made - they hold up well.  They just need to be used with 1 kind of fluid.  Either DOT 3 or 5.  Pick one.  If you switch the seals turn to mush.  Don't use that new "works in any system" fluid.  Its BS.  It treats the seals like blending DOT 3 and 5.  

• Like 2
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Ben_upde said:

6zD2BTn.jpg

Dat grill owe 5 months back support.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, frank88 said:

Look a sweet. What did you use to paint it, just rattle cans?

A mixture of rattle cans and brushes for the emblem. 

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Dat grill owe 5 months back support.

kKGjagk.jpg

did some more polishing on the hood. I can’t paint it now ?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, distributorguy said:

I've used a few of the new slave cylinders.  I don't care where they're made - they hold up well.  They just need to be used with 1 kind of fluid.  Either DOT 3 or 5.  Pick one.  If you switch the seals turn to mush.  Don't use that new "works in any system" fluid.  Its BS.  It treats the seals like blending DOT 3 and 5.  

I only use DOT3 unless it’s a European car where I use synthetic DOT4

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Ben_upde said:

I only use DOT3 unless it’s a European car where I use synthetic DOT4

My thought was that maybe the last owner didn't follow this common sense?  Internal collapse of the hose is also a possibility, which will not allow the clutch to grab as well as it should, holding pressure in the slave.  

• Like 1
On 8/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, Ben_upde said:

‘Ugly Betty’, as I’ve been referring to her lately, drove herself home for the first time today ?

N7tjKT9.jpg

Those are 720 wheels.  I have a set of 5 of the factory disc brake 78/79 620 wheels that take the factory hub caps I will be selling as soon as I am sure the wheels I am going trying out now for my 520 are going to work.  PM me if interested in these wheels.

14 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Those are 720 wheels.  I have a set of 5 of the factory disc brake 78/79 620 wheels that take the factory hub caps I will be selling as soon as I am sure the wheels I am going trying out now for my 520 are going to work.  PM me if interested in these wheels.

They are just what was on it. They are only temporary anyway. I have Turbines squirreled away awaiting other mods to them and the look i’m after. Thanks for the offer though!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, distributorguy said:

My thought was that maybe the last owner didn't follow this common sense?  Internal collapse of the hose is also a possibility, which will not allow the clutch to grab as well as it should, holding pressure in the slave.  

Hoses are all new. When I took it apart the debris and sludge built up indicated it hadn’t seen proper care nor service in quite some time. All is good now with the new replacement master cylinders ??

• Like 1