Greetings! Intro/build thread

Ben_upde

12 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

They should screw on to the back of the gauge cluster just fine.

Not much you can do about the glare....dont bother with the domed glass, it makes it worse...

ByTAx31.jpg

Mine didn’t protrude through enough to get the large nut started. I also didn’t want to screw around with trying to figure out how to make the turn signal lights work so i reused the gauge body. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ZNU9Bul.jpg

Ahhh. I think your bezel is different than mine and maybe that is why it did not go in as far. Speedhut is really good with service, I had the domed glass and the glare was really bad, so they sold me the flat glass to replace them with. They might sell ya the bezels if you wanted.

E3SDz80.jpg

Also, the speedhut 3 gauge dimmer knob fits perfectly in the factory location...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally gave up the ‘flipped high pinion’ rear axle pipe dream. I don’t want to spend $3500 on an axle for my 300-350hp power goals. I found a toyota 5 speed on Craigslist for $60 that had ‘shifter issues’

vCqACwR.jpg
quick disassembly and i found the weld holding the shifter arm to the rod failed. Quick cleanup and weld and i have a cheap and fairly stout  5 speed that spins the correct direction on the output shaft. 
0fEQVhi.jpg

A tdi to toyota adapter can be had with flywheel for about $600 and some driveline mods will get me back in working order and proper suspension height over winter 😬

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

So the engine is normal rotation? I'm confused.

The engine spins normal. The audi quattro transmission I have spins the propeller shaft reverse of everyone else because it has to send power forward as well. Swapping a Toyota trans in will remedy that so I can flip my third member back over and run on the stronger side of the gear set and gain 4” of lowering back

• Like 2
4 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Now it makes sense - many of us were confused! I suppose a front dif might have worked in the rear.

Yeah it annoyed the absolute crap out of me when I discovered the difference. The Audi rear diff has the ring gear on the left side of the pinion to counteract that. The problem is no solid axle is set up that way so flipping my third member was my only option at the time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The Toyota trans sounds like the perfect solution.

I was hoping to see you build a $3500 axle, but this makes more sense.

I’d much rather put that money into handling and appearance right now honestly. It’s plenty quick with ~200hp and with the Hx30 going on soon at low boost it’ll still be quicker at 300hp and a lot easier on components. Little turbos come on hard, big ones are lazy 😂 

11 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Looks like a great road. Hard to keep up with your buddy? Looks like he waited for you at least once.

He knows the road like the back of his hand while i’ve only been up it maybe 6 times in my life. Plus I get a horrible driveline vibration above 55 which i’ve narrowed down to the side-to-side offset from

having the diff flipped. Makes my pinion no longer centered and wreaks havoc on the u-joints if the driveline isn’t perfectly straight in the other planes. Yet another reason I need to flip that sucker back over and run it as I originally set the truck up. 
The first half I was having issues with it breaking up really bad mid throttle. I stopped and disconnected the MAF as I was unsure of its health anyway being used. Helped massively. My rear suspension is very very soft and gave me some pretty good lean that took some getting used to. The trip back down was much more open with traffic and allowed me to push it a bit. Brakes are definitely matched well with the truck. Power level is good, and will be better when I put the HX30 in. Suspension needs more spring rate but overall quite stable and no funny tendencies on upset. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Looks like a great road.

Fantastic looking road, pavement in great condition. I'm always on the lookout for roads like that.

What road is that? Would like to drive that in the future once borders are reopened & my truck is ready for the road.

4 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

Fantastic looking road, pavement in great condition. I'm always on the lookout for roads like that.

What road is that? Would like to drive that in the future once borders are reopened & my truck is ready for the road.

It is the main entry road for a ski resort just north of Boise known as ‘Bogus Basin’. It’s maintained year round so it can be quite a blast winter time too with the right tires. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Been a crazy winter already with work and everything but finally got around to ordering my engine adapter and a clutch kit to handle the power level required to blow the transmission/rear axle up 🧐

Also got my Hands on some 3.70:1 gears to put in the rear diff to give me some highway speed. This spring I should be riding at my proper ride height and slaying some curvy roads again!

• Like 2

My Acme adapter is scheduled to arrive Wednesday already. It comes with the adapter plate and a flywheel machined to fit the VW/Audi crank but use toyota clutch parts. Might see about having it lightened a bit by a machinist buddy. I’ll have to see what it weighs and where extra meat lies that can be removed without compromising strength. 
I went with a 6 puck clutch that hopefully won’t feel too choppy and grabby 🥸

Final piece to the puzzle arrived today so looks like next week I’m digging in!

Only thing I’ll have to do besides the parts swap is relocate/fab a transmission mount/crossmember and get my Toyota driveline made into a 1 piece with a different length tube which is TBD how long. 

while I have it apart I’ll probably lift the bed off and clean up the rear tank crossmember and tidy up a few other minor details just to have it nicer underneath. Might even rattle can the frame 🧐

nah!🤣

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A clean frame with old paint always looks better than a cheapo rattle can job.

I don’t think there’s much ‘paint’ left on my frame. It’s pretty much just surface rust colored all the way down. 

• Like 1

And......

p3QPmJk.jpg
out with the old.....

YNcWfhm.jpg
Acme adapter bolted perfectly in place

OF5201H.jpg
stage 4 clutch....

R1khCC7.jpg
6 puck 🧐

HtYxHcA.jpg

might be hard to tell but.... unsprung hub 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m a glutton for punishment I guess....

2OQqNSh.jpg

trans bolts right on, like it was made for it

G8MtWmI.jpg

back in her home

jAIQ7jE.jpg
stock trans mount back in stock location, added a half inch thick extension for the Toy mount to bolt to. Yes it’s leaning, I wasn’t about to mess with engine mounts/exhaust/everything just to have the trans sit straight 😂

also yes, the trans mount is only tacked with 3 healthy tack welds right now. Fully welding and a support piece will be in place before it’s driven. Called it a night there. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Is that a "Spec" Clutch?

I had one for my 521 and was harder than a Roadster clutch to push on however it killed my disc and left me staranded on side of road.

For some reason the center was sheared off.  Motor would just turn!!!!

I’ve heard horrible things about Spec. This is a $120 amazon special so i’m expecting the worst but hoping for the best. Quality looks good though. 🤞🏻