Ben_upde

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Been super smokey with all the fires everywhere so really haven’t driven her. I did get a third member out of a you-pull-it yard for a Ford 9” for $85. 54” wide axle housing and shafts are on order from speedway courtesy of some wheeling and dealing with the boss on a couple of his personal rigs that needed some attention. 
helped a coworker get a couple generators up and running for his homestead in exchange for a gear set, so that’s on order as well 😬

Looks like ill be having some fun setting the 3 link up again properly with a 9” sooner rather than later 😃

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

6 lug with a 9 inch? Must be custom.

Had planned to be but turns out the only company that makes a high pinion 9” third member also makes their own custom gears for it  At the price of $1600 for a third member they can keep it. I’ll redo the exhaust and do something different in the future. A Toyota 8” has a dropout third member, can be geared where I need to be, has an LSD available and is significantly cheaper. 
for now i’ve canceled the orders for the custom width housing/shafts with 6 lug pattern. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Toyota FJ80 front diffs are high pinion and will bolt into any 8" Toyota axle housing. I assume you knew that.

They even came with an electric locker. That would be cool for track use.

I haven’t had a chance to dig into other axle options and what will work with what yet. For now i’ll reconfigure what I have and just try to be relatively easy on it while focusing on bodywork and interior. 
Thanks for the info though! I’ll add it to my ‘look in to later’ pile

More for your later pile : I have a mostly complete set of FJ40 centers in 4:11. One that hasn't been touched since it was removed, the other I disassembled to make it work in another project. It didn't work and I put the parts in a milk crate in the garage. All the parts should be there, but I haven't gone through it years. I'm in Boise.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention I placed an order with Speedhut a couple weeks ago 😬

SMXoywn.jpg

wpBAvW3.jpg
vPWN5UC.jpg

should be here in a couple more weeks then i’ll have a working speedo, tach AND coolant temp gauge. Plus my fuel gauge won’t read inverse because a 10-90ohm sender was not readily available for my fuel cell 🤣

• Like 3

If you can find a sending unit with the same sweep direction and in a similar range, you can install a resistor to get it close if not dead on. I use a volume knob from a guitar amp to figure out what resistance works, then get the proper resistor and solder it in line.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 5t341tH said:

I wish the volts was replaced with oil temp on that gauge. I'd get it in a heartbeat

If you call them, I believe you can get the gauges fully customized and they should be able to put a temp gauge in place of anything you’d like. 

11 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If you can find a sending unit with the same sweep direction and in a similar range, you can install a resistor to get it close if not dead on. I use a volume knob from a guitar amp to figure out what resistance works, then get the proper resistor and solder it in line.

I’ve not used to potentiometer method, but have used inline resistors to take up the ‘remaining resistance’ from a sensor that is too ‘broad’ for the gauge. 
Luckily most new gauges can either be changed or ordered for the sender option you have or desire to run. It seems most oems are going to a single standard lately anyway. 

• Like 1
On 9/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, Crashtd420 said:

I love the look of the combo gauge.... 

Sweet purchase ...

Definitely what made me decide to go this route. I didn’t feel like cutting into the radio delete panel, or making a new one to put small gauges into. 
my boost gauge can just go into the top of the center console if i decide to run it full time. Probably won’t tho. 

Gauges arrived and are installed!

ZJCi61F.jpg
I used an extra gauge cluster setup from a junkyard truck so as to not hack the fully functional set from my truck, not sure why though 🧐

ZjATEit.jpg
bit of glare here but🤷🏼‍♂️

xVoZmrD.jpg

Everything working as it should

O5vsiqD.jpg

overall super super happy with the set and the quality. Highly recommend speedhut if you’re after gauges. Not cheap, but then again what gauges are anymore?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1