Greetings! Intro/build thread

Ben_upde

Hello all. 

You’ve likely seen a few photos i’ve posted up but here is my official intro thread as I fly home tomorrow and can actually get started on it. 

Just a quick background, my first car was a ‘75 620 back in ‘96. Drove the ever lovin piss outta that truck and it NEVER failed me. 

Fast forward 20+ years and I decided I needed another. Being 6’ tall with very long legs a regular cab was out so I started the search for a King Cab. 

Found this ‘79, struck up a deal and since my parents only lived 2 hours from it they picked it up for me. 

GT8DxRk.jpg

b1rm63V.jpg

UDwOKFb.jpg

J5VrUrX.jpg

mSJg0DB.jpg

qZvm9yJ.jpg

PvzInV7.jpg

0yLibMK.jpg

Idpai0G.jpg

It was still 8 hours from me so it hitched a rode behind a co-worker for the remainder of the stretch home. 

While away on vacation a friend arranged procurement of a set of wheels that were absolutely essential to the look I have dreamed up

j2Razvx.jpg

Also got notification that my flares will ship soon and I should have them within a couple weeks

VYv1VWI.jpg

zkcngLb.jpg

I’ll continue updating as parts come in and progress is made. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, datzenmike said:

WTF? the rears are 10" wide? Will thew L20B turn them??? ?

I hate that Nissan bolted the front bumper to the front fenders. ANY bump in the front buckles the fender(s).

Looks good for rust!

The L20b may have trouble but the Audi 1.8t I have laying around waiting to go in with a mediumish turbo and mild tune will do the job nicely.  I purchased it with the assumption the engine in it is bad. Basically it’s an unknown as of yet. 

It looks like i’ll be able to straighten everything out fairly easily. The hardest part appears to be the leading edge of the front fenders where there is a bit of damage. 

Appears to be quite solid as far as rust goes. Drivers floorboard had surface rust and some scaling due to the window regulator having been half-ace removed. Luckily a junkyard donated a regulator and it’s weathertight for the time being. 

• Like 1

I got the sarcasm. Funtana seems to do a fine job of it ?

I mostly want to do the swap because I know 1.8t’s like the back of my hand and can handle all aspects of the swap wiring and tuning myself, along with any and all advanced diagnosis. 

Plus if I decide to get retarted in the future, i’m only a turbo, tune and injectors away from ~500hp. 

• Like 3
Guest Mojo510

Grabbing some popcorn, sitting back and watching this. Never seen an Audi eng in a Datsun yet! The 1.8t is a great platform to start with, easy to mod and tune and if you already have one and know it, why not.

S

21 hours ago, Trochu said:

What flares did you decide to go with?

I ended up ordering the set from a gentleman on Facebook named Pairoj Kan out of Thailand. He’s gotten pretty good reviews and the flares were exactly the size and fit I was after. Kinda in between the ebay style and the rocket bunny style. 

• Like 4

Spent a whopping 15 minutes on the ‘bad engine’ in the truck to see if it would even run. Valves are noisy, in dire need of adjustment, smog pump was not connected so noise from that, and most of the vacuum lines were rotted away. Not to mention I never put any gas in the fuel tank at all, it’s running on whatever was in it from when it was parked in 2012.

• Like 3

Pulled the head, cleaned everything up and installed new gaskets up top. Still have a few vacuum and exhaust leakento attend to. Probably still needs some valve adjustment and carb adjustments dialed in but runs massively better

• Like 2

Brakes are all done and working proper now. Replaced the master cylinder and front brake lines, bled everything and finally have a solid pedal. Gotta replace the clutch master cylinder. The seal swelled and stuck in the bore and tore. At least they are inexpensive. 

Picked up another essential ‘early grill’ component as well. Gonna keep the grunge look till I get around to repainting the truck

8sA3ebi.jpg

• Like 2