Feeling Road Bumps through my shifter

Vehicle: 75 B210 A15 FS5W60A 5 speed.

So when I go over bumps I can feel them thorugh My shifter handle.  The only thing I can think of is transmitting via the lower control arms into the crossmember.

I get some lateral shift in the front wheels also, always have; even though it was all rebuilt.

I do not remember if it has always done this, and a bounce test indicates my struts are good.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep yer hands off the shifter when driving.

If you have done some parts replacing in the front suspension....what kind of shape is the transmission mount in? Might be a long shot but worth a look.

The engine and transmission are rubber mounted. If one is loose or rotted away the eng/trans may shift around on bumps.

Lateral shift sounds suspiciously like bump steer. It's most pronounced on 'in town' turns where one wheel (not both) rides over a high spot and the steering wheel will pull to one side or the car pulls to one side. This is caused by lowering the vehicle height and disrupting the steering geometry. The cure is easy enough just install 'bump steer spacers' between the steering knuckles and the bottom of the strut tube.

I made my own...

ULBN6wC.jpg

T5Uheyn.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, az_rat210 said:

even though it was all rebuilt...

What was all rebuilt? A lot of the bushings in this car can look good while actually not being in good shape. The motor mounts for example, they can look fine, but be torn completely off their metal parts. Other failed bushings like tension compression or lower control arm bushings can give the wonky feeling you describe.

It could also be a result of the rear end flexing around, like bad leaf spring bushings or loose u-bolts holding the axle.

I think this car has a rubber isolated transmission crossmember as well as a rubber bushing under the trans itself, If any of those are bad, they could cause the back of the trans to shift around.

So when you say it's all been rebuilt, did you also replace or at least check these bushings?

For the nob wobble, my money is on the rubber between trans and rear brace is toast.

First thing I thought of when you said "lateral shift in the front wheels" was bump steer issues. Lateral shift needs a bit of defining though. Assuming the bushings were all replaced in the front, if it's just wondering a bit, it could be anything from excessive toe issues, to play in the steering box.

• Like 1

Alright, heh.  Lateral shift might have been the wrong word, as the tires do not move left to right.  The control arms will if I am backing up shift forwards causing tire rub (I do have 14's on the car), so my bad.  I rebuilt the car completely about 8 years ago with all new urethane bushings.  But it has always had that movement, even after the full rebuild, with all new steering components except the steering box, urethane bushings, and control arm bushings.

The shifter knob just bounces up when I go over bumps.

Sounds like I need to go through and check the rear and front motor mounts.

Check steering gear box bolts, cross member bolts, etc under the car.

Appreciate the ideas.  Best get to work on it.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:26 AM, az_rat210 said:

The control arms will if I am backing up shift forwards causing tire rub

The shifter knob just bounces up when I go over bumps.

That first one sounds like bad or loose lower control arm bushings. They can go bad is the wrong grease is used, which can eat away at the urethane. Technically, that's bump steer, but bump steer usually only occurs very slightly and on lowered 510's . I have had the problem you describe, and it was bad lower control arm bushings. Also, have you checked to see if the crossmember bolts are tight, make sure there are no cracks in the crossmember and also the studs that hold the lower control arms are not loose or wiggling in their bores where they go through the crossmember. Having owned about 20 510's, raced them and worked on many more,  I have seen all of these problems over the years.

The shifter bouncing sounds like bad trans or motor mounts.

I'm confused by what you mean by bumps through the shifter. Is it moving from road bumps without you touching it? Is it a vibration, or an erratic shaking? Vertical bump? or side to side? Do you hear a noise of the transmission smacking the underside of the car? Any noise to go along with it? If you have your hand on it, don't push down into the transmission, because you'll definitely feel bumps and vibration. It seems normal to me that you'd feel a bounce, while holding onto your shifter, while going over bumps. I could be wrong. 

Maybe it would be different if it was a small bump and you got A LOT of movement. 

In my mind the best thing would be to look at the transmission mount and how the shifter moves while standing still. If the trans. crossmember allows for movement, it's not doing its job. 

On 8/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, tr8er said:

I feel bumps through my shitter as well.  

That happens after a visit to my local taco truck.