Mechanical Timing

Logical1

Hey a friend of mine has a 81' a10 and was in the process of changing the head gasket on his z20. He let the project sit for a few months and just asked me for help. After taking a look at it, he has the head off and the timing chain wedged luckily, however he did not mark his timing chain to sprocket placement. Is there a trick to get the sprocket and chain aligned correctly without pulling the timing cover and starting from scratch? Seems like there should be and it is probably fairly obvious, been working 12's so I am braindead! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Was the engine set at TDC?

While the head was off was the cam turned?

Block is at TDC and the head has sat on the bench untouched. should still be in matched timing, is it just a try a get the sprocket into the links as close as possible till it fits onto the cam?

With the head in place lift the chain on the driver's (tension) side so it is reasonably tight with no slack and fit the sprocket on in such a way that the #2 hole slips onto the cam dowel. It's got to be close

• Like 1

look at the bottom crank and see if its at TDC 0 deg on crank pulley.

put the head on with it at TDC. look at the intake and exhaust cam positions.

drop on head.

install the sprocket and tighten

one then can rotate the motor clock wise till the crank is at TDC again then look at the cam sprocket TDC marks to see if correct . If not remove the sprocte and adjust