Dual wheel rearend

Fetch

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it you want to know, I know a little about the 1985-87 Nissan dually axle(C200), I also know a little about the 620 dually axle on the motor homes that used adapters to put 4 stock 620 wheels/rims on the rear.

What are you planning to do, you want to make a dually truck?

• Like 1

I've been hands-on with one 620 dually, and the diff was bone stock 620 with a pair of welded rims (made into one single wheel that accepts two tires) installed.  FIberglass fender flares bolted on to cover the outer wheels.  

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/distributorguy/Datsun project/322BA4DA-2AE8-48B8-87B1-AE491701F3FC_zpslkmpd14d.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/29/2018 at 6:13 AM, distributorguy said:

I've been hands-on with one 620 dually, and the diff was bone stock 620 with a pair of welded rims (made into one single wheel that accepts two tires) installed.  FIberglass fender flares bolted on to cover the outer wheels.  

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o568/distributorguy/Datsun project/322BA4DA-2AE8-48B8-87B1-AE491701F3FC_zpslkmpd14d.jpg

Wayno, I had been thinking about putting a slid in cab over camper on my '95 D21.

Guy, your 620 looks good. If all I need are dual rims and fender flairs, that would be great. Then all I need to deal with is suspension upgrades.

• Like 1

Your going to need more than a dually axle, early dually adapters, or them weird dually rims that came on the late 620 motorhomes, your suspension just isn't going to measure up.

I made a set of 521 leaf packs(5 leafs) into heavy duty set adding 2 extra leafs, one extra full length leaf, and one between the next 2 leafs, I can haul massive amounts of weight, when carrying a ton or less it corners without leaning, keep in mind that my flatbed is around 30 inches off the ground, the weight is not way up high like a camper would be.

Them overload helper leafs that bolt on in front and in back of the axle on the leafs are a joke, they put them on the 720 cab/chassis dually axle trucks, I suppose if one was going to haul around light loads they would work fine, but what is the point as the stock suspension would work just fine.

The 620 motor homes had a decent leaf pack that will work great for a lowered truck, not sure about a camper though, maybe if the front was lowered.

I have a few extra dually axles with 4.37 gear ratios, but not sure if they will bolt up to a 95 without mods, in the end 2 extra leafs in your leaf pack would be the way to go, you will also need a set of dually fenders, I also have a set of them, there are a lot of ways to make a dually truck, what matters is if you want it to look stock or put together out of other vehicles parts.

• Like 3

I seen this up on a stack at a junkyard out on the coast a few months ago.. Owner of junkyard was positive it was Datsun/Nissan as he was kinda pissed when we told him where we  finally found it... He is a Datsun parts hoarder himself and we went there specifically in hopes to one day part him from some of them..  I think there was 720 fenders hooked to the front of this mess but my mind is playing tricks on me right now. 

sxIt3am.jpg

EwfZ5Jv.jpg

If it matters he wants,, $750. for rearend and wheels.. That i thought i took a picture of but can't find hide nor hair of it .  Not sure if that included springs. 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 2

That rear axle in the last post appears to be a Nissan dually axle, it also has the stupid helper/overload leafs that I see on cab/chassis trucks, I tried using them but the ride was terrible compared to my 521 leaf pack I made with the 2 extra leafs I mentioned in my last post, I ended up putting all the 521 leafs onto the main 720 leaf with the mount eyes on each end, works great.

Truck specific wrecking yards want Corvette prices for all Nissan/Toyota small truck dually axles, them axles sit in them yards till they get scrapped, not many people make their small trucks into dually trucks, so there is not a lot of demand for them axles, I paid $400.00 for my first one, I have never paid more than $250.00 for one since.

• Like 1

The first thing I noticed about the axle in the pic is that it has full floating hubs which are much stronger than the semi floating one piece axle shaft. The wheel bearings are much larger and there are two per side.

I am not positive, but I don't think the 620 or even 720 dually axles had a full float assembly. This alone would seal the deal for me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The first thing I noticed about the axle in the pic is that it has full floating hubs which are much stronger than the semi floating one piece axle shaft. The wheel bearings are much larger and there are two per side.

I am not positive, but I don't think the 620 or even 720 dually axles had a full float assembly. This alone would seal the deal for me.

I believe that is a C200 dually axle, same as the C200 axle that came on the late 720 4wd trucks, they have the same guts on the inside, but the dually axle has different axles, bearings and brake hardware.

Funny thing is that the C200 is only rated for 1700lbs.

• Like 1

This is great information, yes, I have been following the post and have looked around Spokane junk yards but have not found any dually rear ends. I had a feeling they are rare. I still think this would be a great project but, for now I will have to shelve this idea.

A good post for future work.

Thank you all.

• Like 1

Weight ratings based on axle model alone are never accurate by themselves. A Dana 44 front axle, for instance, came in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks, with coil springs or leaf springs, different hubs, axle shafts and axle housing tube diameters. All of these factors change the weight capacity of the axle, but all of them are Dana 44's. The D44 designation is actually the differential (ring and pinion), same with the C200.

• Like 2