Headlights High Beams Always On

I wasn’t too worried about my headlights because they work. However, I got pulled over the other day because my high beams were always on. I cannot get them off, everything looked ok on the column switch. I cleaned up the contacts on the column. I did get a new headlight relay because the old one burnt up, it’s a 72, the replacement relay is one of those with the separate plastic connector. The dash does indicate that the brights are on.

I unplug the outside lights and inside ones still work, all my indicator lights work as do my blinkers. What am I missing, or what should I check?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To have the low beams working you MUST have the parking lights working. The hi/low beam relay has only 2 choices hi or low. When the relay is OFF the high beams are selected. To energize the relay, power is provided by the parking lights. Without parking lights the relay can only be OFF no matter what the switch is set at.

If you have parking lights, find the headlight relay and check for power on the Green/Blue wire. This is the power from the parking light circuit. Try unplugging and plugging back in to clean the contacts. If no power find out why.

If there is power, ground the Black/Red wire. This is the hi/low switch wire and should be grounded when the low beams are selected. If the low beams come on and high beams off then the problem is the switch on the steering column. If nothing happens then the relay is faulty.

Is this a 510?  Are you running yellow Mercedes fog lights in place of your highbeams? I think there has been a documented concern in the past where the metal headlight housings from these Mercedes foglamps can create a ground path and cause the lights to stay on all the time.

this is not likely your concern but it is a place to look.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...