73 620 rear end issues!

DatsunKaua'i

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welding your differential should be your last resort, fine for racing but for normal daily use I would not advise it

If the punch you are using is a smaller diameter than the roll pin and going inside the roll pin you will just be expanding it and you could be pounding on it forever with no luck

Edited by Rick-rat
  • Like 1

on the video, he says that one end of the pin is "staked" should be able to see where the pin is close to the surface. Drill down far enough to remove the staked area and then drive out from other side

Try Datsun spider gear change in to your search engine That is how I found it,  It is a video from Mike Klotz, aka (Bluehands)

Edited by Rick-rat
  • Like 1

Rick-rat so I've tried and tried and tried this thing is not coming ,not is is it not coming, but the pin doesn't even go all the way through?Idrilled through the hole as the video explained and I got nothing, drilled all the way to the pionion shaft and guess what?? still stuck!!!! I am completely baffled. It's as if this is a one time use spidegear pack!!?? Fricken ready to snap! Hahahaha Hahahaha what other rear end can I use for this truck it's a 4 speed with an l20b in it

• Like 1

I have tried to give you the info needed to do this, any  H190 rear end from another truck will work, I would prefer 4.11 gears myself, has to be from a truck because axles are different on the 510' s I used one in my truck from a 510 wagon, but had to change the spider gears to use it.

That pin will come out, don't give up

• Like 1

my last suggestion is to put the carrier on some blocks, find a bolt to put in where the broken part of the pinion  shaft is broken, make it a short bolt and hit it hard, if you have drilled through the roll pin that is giving you so much heartache maybe it will break the pin and you maybe can get the pinion mate shaft

Call 1 800 THE NEWS, and ask for Clark Kent, if he isn't to busy maybe he could fly over and get that apart for you. Never lose your sense of humor and never give up

Edited by Rick-rat
  • Like 1

You will need this gear set to be properly set up by an experienced mechanic with the proper measuring tools. You can't just swap differential parts and expect it to work reliably and why I said to mark the bearings and any shim locations so it would be put back exactly as you found it. Pinion and crown have to be shimmed and a new crush sleeve installed, probably a new pinion seal too. If I were doing this I would buy the entire third member and bolt it in with nothing disturbed. The extra shipping cost more than offsets the cost of a mechanic. 

• Like 1
On 7/25/2018 at 10:14 AM, Rick-rat said:

I usually weigh the same whether I am holding my 3rd member or just letting it hang

Dreamer LOL

On 7/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, DatsunKaua'i said:

Weights around 28 lbs

There is an aluminum housing and a cast Iron housing.  The weight depends on which one is being shipped.

Edited by Charlie69