L20B intake/exhaust gasket... help!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, distributorguy said:

Who makes the good green intake/exhaust gaskets for square port heads?   Emergency rebuild before Bonneville (in 3 weeks) and I need one or two ASAP I can port for my huge header and huge intake.  HELP!!!

I did read it. I answered this one. I should go through your other voluminous posts to see if there's some other hidden reason for asking ? 

3 hours ago, distributorguy said:

Fuck off if you're not going to read the post Mike.  Quantity over quality again.  25000 posts and most of them you don't even read the question you're answering.  

That's some funny shit right there. Right for the throat.

Per the gasket, I hate those hard paper gaskets. They get brittle and break.

One approach I might suggest is to buy a standard old Beck Arnley intake gasket for a 240Z. Cut it up into the pieces you need and then have a gasket that makes it possible to remove the intake without destroying the exhaust portion of the gasket. It also has large ports (usually large enough for a ported engine) and the split center exhaust port. Most regular parts store gaskets for L4 motors do not have the split exhaust port anymore. One application that I used to use when buying a gasket was for a '74 610. Since they came with larger intake ports, this gasket worked for large port engines. I doubt it's still available.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That's some funny shit right there. Right for the throat.

Per the gasket, I hate those hard paper gaskets. They get brittle and break.

One approach I might suggest is to buy a standard old Beck Arnley intake gasket for a 240Z. Cut it up into the pieces you need and then have a gasket that makes it possible to remove the intake without destroying the exhaust portion of the gasket. It also has large ports (usually large enough for a ported engine) and the split center exhaust port. Most regular parts store gaskets for L4 motors do not have the split exhaust port anymore. One application that I used to use when buying a gasket was for a '74 610. Since they came with larger intake ports, this gasket worked for large port engines. I doubt it's still available.

There's another suggestion to buy a stock gasket.  Are you going to tell Stoffregen to fuck off?? 

18 hours ago, distributorguy said:

Who makes the good green intake/exhaust gaskets for square port heads?   Emergency rebuild before Bonneville (in 3 weeks) and I need one or two ASAP I can port for my huge header and huge intake.  HELP!!!

Your post is vague at best. I gave you what you asked for.

6 hours ago, distributorguy said:

Fuck off if you're not going to read the post Mike.  Quantity over quality again.  25000 posts and most of them you don't even read the question you're answering.  

You mad bro??? 'Cause swearing at me just makes you a Richard.

• Like 1

I believe distrutorguy is looking for a gasket that actually seals the 2,3 exhaust ports from each other, he's racing. Most of the manifold gaskets that are out there for 4 cyl L engines, do not seal the 2,3 exhaust ports from each other. Street motor, who cares, racing, different story, especially land speed record sht. What stoff suggested,  that gasket cut up, would seal the 2,3 exhaust ports from each other. Just my 5 cents, inflation!

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:56 AM, datzenmike said:

I did read it. I answered this one. I should go through your other voluminous posts to see if there's some other hidden reason for asking ? 

Mike, you don't have to comment on every post. It was clear he was looking for a certain type of gasket, not going to NAPA for the gaskets they sell, your answer was just a generic answer, not the right one. I don't  blame him for  telling you to fuck off. He is on time restraints and doesn't need bogus answers just to keep your post count up

Edited by Rick-rat

I clearly stated I need a larger gasket that I can port to match my HUGE ports.  This is for the Bonneville race motor, as stated.  My header ports are 2 1/8" pipe, formed to the square port to allow severe anti-reversion.  A stock gasket is way too small, and if it has a fire ring, the ring does not land on the header seal area.  I specifically asked for the green gasket because its the only one that I can make seal (I have every other gasket money can buy here in stock), despite the fact that its paper and doesn't last long.  I only need it to last about 30 miles.  The intake ports are 1.6".  

Thanks again Doc, as those guys not only sold me gaskets, but they had the piston ring set I needed as well and were able to meet my insane timeline for reassembly.  You're the only person who answered the question. Cheers!!!   

• Like 1

One other thought I had, why run a gasket at all? On most of the high HP racing L motors I've built, we would use Threebond 1211 in the intake ports and high temp orange RTV on the exhaust ports. The 1211 has a very high bonding strength (we actually ran a motor on the dyno without bolts holding the intake on, before we realized they were missing) and the orange high temp RTV does an exceptional job holding on less than uniform surfaces.

Just a thought.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

One other thought I had, why run a gasket at all? On most of the high HP racing L motors I've built, we would use Threebond 1211 in the intake ports and high temp orange RTV on the exhaust ports. The 1211 has a very high bonding strength (we actually ran a motor on the dyno without bolts holding the intake on, before we realized they were missing) and the orange high temp RTV does an exceptional job holding on less than uniform surfaces.

Just a thought.

The downside is that the header has a weld bead to seal to the head and the guy I had surface the manifold put it on a belt sander.  Its not very straight.  The gasket barely seals, but it does.  It works and its one less thing to think about since we are doing an emergency engine rebuild less than 3 weeks from our race.

• Like 1

BTW- a friend of mine just brought me a bunch of L series parts for his new 2300. Included in the parts pile are two new Remflex gaskets. I will say, they are nice, but soooooo thick. I wonder how that will or could affect the fitment of things.

I'll keep you guys posted as I get them installed.

Specifically I am worried that they are so soft that the ears will crack off the intake while torquing them down.

Anybody ever break a side draft carburetor by over tightening it onto an o-ring style soft mount? I have and I've repaired carbs that others have cracked too. If it's too soft under the ears, extreme care will need to be taken during the installation.

Like I said, I'll give you guys my impressions after I've installed them.

• Like 1