Godzilla, Rebuilding A Monster

9 hours ago, paradime said:

All other cylinders looked perfect, no scoring whatsoever. In fact the #5 would have been fine had it not been for a small but deep ding near the top. Indeed it could have been far worse though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

A lot's happened over the last 5 months but I'll go sparingly on the gory soap opera details on how it went down and stick to the what went down instead. Ken was ready to walk away from the whole thing, but over time we pieced together a path forward that made sense and everything seemed to fall in place like it was meant to be. A warm hole opened in the fabric of time space continuum and out of thin air new OEM RB26 head casings showed up on eBay for $800, and then new blocks for $1,300... WTF right? Turns out, Nissan Performance Division is putting the RB26 back into production https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a26985019/nissan-syline-gt-r-rb26-engine-restarts-production/ and we got some of the first castings shipped to the states. Since then the price has nearly doubled and they're backlogged 6 months. Nice bit of good fortune, but then the builder and machine shop that build the RB that took a shit said they'd put a new engine together for the price of parts and no charge for labor. Ken's got a better engine for a fraction of the first one. Erring on the side of caution we replaced all the internals and resurfaced and balanced the crank. We also replaced all the valves with Supertech sodium filled exhaust valves made of Inconel/Nimonic alloy, and EV8 (21-4N) stainless steel intake valves. 

Remember this?

blownhead

Now 

freshhead

newhead

newblock

newbuild

On it's way back to Portland this weekend where the car is waiting. 

Edited by paradime
  • Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Hide the wife and kids, Godzilla's back and more pissed off than ever. 

GT-R2.0

It's been a long emotionally draining and obscenely expensive haul, so hopefully in some grand scheme of things, Ken's earned enough karmic credits to finally enjoy this Monster. I placed rice and lotus blossom offerings in the trunk to please the JDM Car Gods, and have my fingers crossed just for good measure. Judging how the valet took off while trying to park the car though, I think I'll double up on the rice. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I can't let someone else drive my car, well not easily. I had a valet park my sedan once and was about to give him instructions on how to start it. It was like a boy coming over to take my daughter out. Sound about right?

True that Mike. Video surveilled the little bastard.

23 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Wow man awesome build.  What’s she putting down now. 

Mines is almost ready doe assembly. How ever now I’m finding out the valves I got suck. There from a company in Japan Dokuru.  Only other set I know is Kameari. 

It made 643hp on e85. Hopefully with some reliability this time.

Yeah, isn't Dokuro valves just a good quality stock replacement, or do they also make high performance valves? If you're looking at Kameari, are you building an L series? if so talk to Dave Rebello. Dude, after what happened to us, I'd recommend getting the best valve train you can get your hands on..

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1

On the RB we used Supertech's sodium filled exhaust valves made of one piece Inconel/Nimonic alloy, and solid EV8 (21-4N) stainless steel intake valves with a hardened contact surface at the top. Interesting to note, the silver looking valves in the pict above are the exhaust & the darker is a coating on stainless steel.  

We learned the hard way that three piece exhaust valves, although great for mild turbo applications aren't as safe for higher boost performance. Titanium alloy valves are THE shit but get into the unobtanium range. Realistically though, you wouldn't need them unless you're getting into ridiculously high rpm 10K +. Inconel/Nimonic alloy might be heavier, but it's the same material they use for jet engine turbines, so it should handle all the heat and stress we can throw at it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The GT-R has been in San Diego with my older brother Dan for a while. He's got friends in Temecula who build show cars and they just finished an insane paint job on Ken's R32 Skyline. the shop created a custom color they're calling Tiger Eye after the opalescent stone. Back in the 80s my Dad used to ware a gold ring with one of these stones in it so it's kind of a tribute to him in that era. pict below.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.31.21 PM.png

• Like 3

Not sure what happened with my phone's camera, but the actual color is 2 shades darker in person; going from deep dark chocolate to milk chocolate, to deep orange, then bright gold just like the stone. F'n unreal depth and mirror finish.That's my bad ass 83 year old Dad in the background.

BodyTopRight.jpg

• Like 2

The engine bay has a long way to go in terms of detail work. All the plastic covers reservoir jugs are new but need help, finish on the valve cover will be changed, and cold air/boost hoses need ideas. If you guys have any specific input it would be much appreciated.  

IMG_3364.jpg

• Like 2
On 6/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, paradime said:

The engine bay has a long way to go in terms of detail work. All the plastic covers reservoir jugs are new but need help, finish on the valve cover will be changed, and cold air/boost hoses need ideas. If you guys have any specific input it would be much appreciated.  

IMG_3364.jpg

Still looking for some feedback/ideas guys.

13 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Well matching or eye popping tappet cover would be in order, as for hoses black, stay black, if you can change some if not most to -AN fittings even better.

We were thinking about black powder coated mandril bend aluminum pipe for cold air in and boost out hoses. Definately AN on the smaller hoses. maybe Aeromotive fuel and vac lines like in my 510?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Seems like a lot of the detraction is the AC & ABS lines...but not much you can do there if you want to keep those systems

True that. Maybe some of the clutter could be rerouted or dressed up a bit.

• Like 1

The car is at a buddy's shop named Brody's getting the interior done. It's being done in black leather with bark brown stitching and detail, the headliner in black cloth but with the same brown leather detail. In about 10 days Brody's son will be getting back from South Carolina. He and my brothers will be reassembling the body and doing the engine bay. The beta version of the valve cover will be a nod to the Ichiban 1971 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R (KPGC-10) with separate rocker covers and all the timing and ignition totally open and exposed. They ordered individual billet aluminum rocker covers with raised NISSAN lettering and horizontal vanes, a conversion bracket for Nissan R35 coilpacks, visible aluminum cam gears (under black top cover). All these parts will be anodized deep gold with brushed bare aluminum detail. 

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...