Godzilla, Rebuilding A Monster

About 6 months ago, my brother imported a 1992 R32 Skyline GT-R that had some work done to it.

R34 turbines installe
engine block was replaced with a clean unit (05U Block)
14,500 km since engine overhaul was performed
head intake and exhaust ports polished
HKS metal head gasket (1.2mm)
intake and exhaust manifold HKS metal gaskets installed
Camshafts: Tomei 260° intake and 262° exhaust with 9.15 lift
HKS EVC boost controller
ECU tuning
Fujitsubo exhaust
NISMO Super Copper mixed single plate clutch
NISMO 2 way LSD
Tein suspension
6-point Cuzco roll cage
Front and Rear brake rotors, slotted, Project μ
Front and rear brake pads, Project μ
NISMO stainless steel mesh brake hoses
Larger capacity aluminum radiator
N1 HID headlights
NISMO 320km/h speedometer
Mine’s Boost gauge
NISMO leather shift knob
VIPER 5706V keyless entry/alarm
Driver and Passenger seats changed to Recaro LX

28589685387_e5e1e5ece6_z.jpg

29605295368_08682c0a85_z.jpg

42759746004_86cbf9e2b7_z.jpg

29605296118_4054bebbc6_z.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car is an absolute BEAST, acceleration, handling, and breaks are ridiculous, and you can't stop anywhere without drawing a crowd. Everything you'd expect an R32 would be on American streets until... This  

42571676605_a21136e22b_z.jpg

28589899057_cb697d3240_z.jpg

At freeway speed it threw a rod bearing that ate the crank and scattered shavings everywhere. Once the engine was torn down it was revealed the rod bolt was not torqued properly, one fell completely and the other was finger tight. It also revealed the cams were stock, and the ports had not been touched. Needless to say we brought everything we had to pursue a cash settlement and after a few "tense" email exchanges we got the importer to cover 50% of the cost to rebuild the engine to it's as advertised condition. 

Instead of hobbling it back together, my brother decided to use this as an opportunity to build a serious Monster, but reliable enough to drive anywhere. Right now there are components scattered all over the country, The chassis is in Oregon getting buttoned up, the engine is in Seattle being built up with top end internals,  the transmission is in Ohio getting all OS Giken gear and rod sets, and when it's all back together it will be tuned in Arizona. 

The goal is a super reliable 600hp with all the proper running gear to handle it. 

So far, the crank has been modified to a flat oil pump drive, balanced and polished, the block has been decked, line board and oil passages flushed with break fluid. Rods and pistons weight balanced, The head is being built at another machine shop and yet to be married to the block.

43477768211_593c371fc9_z.jpg

Oil pump drive before

43477773621_dfb511ef7e_z.jpg

New oil pump drive

42572801415_ecf1bcb7e8_z.jpg

Enlarged oil passages

43477773541_cf4388aa74_z.jpg

Edited by paradime
55 minutes ago, tr8er said:

Wow.  They paid?   

Yeah I know, hard to believe right. After some social media bashing we let them know we weren't going to back out without causing them damage. There is also an agency called the Japanese Company Trust Organization that we filed an investigation with. Eventually they started to take us seriously and from there it was a matter of continuous pressure.

22 hours ago, paradime said:

My mistake, break cleaner, not fluid.

I reviewed the transcripts and I realize there is the need for clarification. It should have been obvious, I thought it would be obvious, but I would like to clarify just in case it wasn't. In a key sentence in my remark, I typed the word "break" instead of "brake". The sentence should have been "My mistake, brake cleaner, not fluid." So just to repeat it I typed the word break instead of the work brake and the sentence should have been ^v<>*?! and I though it would be maybe a little bit unclear on the transcript, or unclear on the actual thread... 

Fixed it. ?

10 hours ago, nl320what said:

No need to clarify, they just padding post counts haha.

The pistons are artwork to me, keep build pics coming, any pics of the bottom end of the RB crank caps, wanna see if they are 4bolt splayed or side bolted caps?

I think you may have been referring to domestic small block Chevy stuff with four bolt mains. The RB block is super rigid with one piece style mains in a girdle. Fairly common on Nissans when the dual cam stuff came out.

43516735701_81930c9bab_z.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Looks good where are you installing the wings do you can fly. How much power do you expect to put down.

Funny you would say that, last night we were talking about the car having almost as much power as the early WWII Zero with Mistubishi Zuisei engines. 

The goal is in the neighborhood of 600bhp and 500whp. Making that much power isn't the issue, it's making it reliable and controllable that's going to be tough. The entire drive train from trans to tires is being upgraded to meet the challenge though. We stepped up the trans build now using 5 speed helical synchro gear set, with solid billet main shaft n selector forks from PPG (Pfitzner Performance Gearbox). Having it built at ShepTrans in Ohio and all of it rated at 800+ hp.

We're using a Link G4 stand alone ECU like the one in my 510. With that, the car can have switchable tunes with individual power curves in each gear, custom launch control, and full access in tuning the traction control system. The goal there is a fun daily driver street car with a monster hidden under the peddle. Once the GTR is all back together, everything will be dialed in at Portland Speed Industries.

I tell you, helping out on this build is like living in a fantasy world. Money flying in all directions and everything happening at light speed. As my Dad says, money is the lubricant of life.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

All dressed up and ready to go.

43749870251_5a00ebf96d_z.jpg

Just got word the head is done and on it's way back to Ray's shop. I'll post up some picts as soon as it comes in.

After some research, we are going to remove the HICAS rear steering system from my Brother's car. It's not advisable to let the R32's mechanical 4 wheel steering system try and figure out what to do with all that power the RB will be throwing at it. Once you go beyond a certain point, it becomes more dangerous than useful. 

It's interesting how Nissan has developed all wheel steering over the passed 50 years. The 510's semi trailing arm rear suspension is accentually the same thing, using body roll to effect a shift in toe, eg steering the rear end around corners. Great for "spirited" street driving with 100 HP, but again, when you start pushing higher HP through a 510s body roll all wheel steering system, shit gets pretty squirrelly. 

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1

When I first saw the valves I was thinking WTF, it looks like a train wreck in there. Then Ray explained the valves are sodium filled and never look shiny new like a set of L valves. Also there is marking graphite on the surfaces that the machinist uses to see the valve seat grinds. It will all burn off in the first heat cycle, but I have to admit, I wish they'd have cleaned it. If you look close though, you can see the work that's gone into it. You can see where they tapered and smoothed the shoulder to reduce the sharp edge at the quench.

41959464160_0a426892ff_z.jpg

41959464040_f5259ea9c2_z.jpg

41959463870_d367ed9e1e_z.jpg

They did some port matching and cleaning at the intake.

42863900095_c510483bc5_z.jpg

Also the Tomei cam, titanium springs and retainers. 

41959464000_cbf0a6710f_z.jpg

We haven't decided what to do with the valve cover yet, any ideas?

God it's great when everything comes together and starts looking like an engine again.

Cams are in, head is torqued to 30ft lb and will sit over night. Timing backing plate installed, timing gears were media blasted clean, installed tensioner and VVT adjuster, and lower timing cover.

43723293352_23233865b3_z.jpg

• Like 1