1972 620 Pickup Project/Electrical Help

martjoe

Hello Everyone:

Looking for some closeup under the hood photos of a 72/73 Datsun 620 pickup truck. The truck was build in 72 but has the 73 body style. My son had the truck for a few years and painted the engine compartment. Everything including all the wiring is now yellow! Several years back the engine was removed with none of the wiring marked. I do have a wiring diagram which is helping a great deal. Photos might help uncover some of the mystery wires. The forum and members have been great and very helpful. Hope you guys & gals can help with this one!

Thanks

Joe

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New models introduced part way through the model year are placed with the next model year. A '73 620 could have been built as early as Feb or March '72.

'73 and '74 were very similar wiring wise with perhaps the plastic plugs differing.

• Like 1

There will be up to 5 wires to the carb.

These two are usually bundled together and may have a black sheath covering them.

One for the electrically heated choke. Blue wire

One for the idle cut solenoid. Red wire

One for the BCDD solenoid. Yellow/Red stripe. Nay not be on the earliest 620.

Throttle position switch located on the throttle. 

One Blue/Red 

One Blue/Yellow

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Take some lacquer thinner on a rag and whipe down the painted wires.   Do this in a well ventilated area and away form any heat source, no smoking.  This should clean off the paint and show the actual color of the wire.

Hello Charlie

Good advise! I've been untapping each strand back a little to get to the colors. Some of them are not tapped so that would be a good solution. Having some trouble finding some parts I need. Looking for the jack bar. I have the handle and found a jack. I also would like to replace the metal door step on each side of the cab. I tried eBay and Craig's list with no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe