Restomodair A/C?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I'm having with an aftermarket a/c system is finding someone to make the the custom hoses to connect the nissan compressor to the aftermarket system. One local shop makes them but doesn't do custom work during June July or August as they are too busy.

I went with coldmaster.com. Not as pricy as restomodair but you tend to get what you pay for.

• Like 1

I have custom A/C hoses made all the time, and sometimes the hardest part is finding a donor compressor manifold. You can't always find the custom compressor manifolds like you see on hotrods or muscle cars, which means that you may need a donor hose to supply something to bolt to the compressor. Something that you can either use right out of the box, or that can be modified to suit. I hate to have to weld on custom fittings if I don't have to, but it may be your only option.

Honestly, I don't know what guys are doing for the Nissan compressors, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Those restomod A/C systems look nice and I've been trying to find a chance to try one. If you do end up using one from them, let me know how it works out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've gone the Vintage Air route, and honestly it wasn't the best quality.  Controls were marginal and awkward.  Severely labor intensive.  

As for hoses, any hydraulic hose company can crimp them for you - even Napa stores, Pirtek, etc...   Its a standard crimp on any hydraulic system.  That's the easy part.  For that matter, you can get a compressor and manifold right at your local auto parts store too.  They'll have (or can get quickly) everything but the hose and inside heat/cool unit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, but sometimes the hoses that you can get at the auto parts store do not have usable manifolds. If they're part of the hose assembly, they can sometimes be re-used, but often times, not. I have had to buy new hoses just for the manifolds and then cut the manifolds off the hoses and weld on either tubing or threaded nipples.

Even on the newer GM V8stuff, usable manifolds aren't available for every compressor, and they're the most common engines out there.

So the question is, for the application that the OP intends, will a factory hose fit the car? Will the manifold clear things like exhaust, frame rails, steering? If so, and the hose is long enough, then all you need to do is have a new firewall end crimped on to suit your needs.

• Like 1

I like the size and design of the restomod Bantam II Ultra Compact Custom Air Conditioning System.

Now if I was wanting an AC for a Rambler staion wagon I would go with the A/C KIT UNIVERSAL UNDER DASH EVAPORATOR 22.220BTU 228-100 W 12V.

I used a 1985 Nissan 720 heater and AC in my 66 520.

15 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yes, but sometimes the hoses that you can get at the auto parts store do not have usable manifolds. If they're part of the hose assembly, they can sometimes be re-used, but often times, not. I have had to buy new hoses just for the manifolds and then cut the manifolds off the hoses and weld on either tubing or threaded nipples.

Even on the newer GM V8stuff, usable manifolds aren't available for every compressor, and they're the most common engines out there.

So the question is, for the application that the OP intends, will a factory hose fit the car? Will the manifold clear things like exhaust, frame rails, steering? If so, and the hose is long enough, then all you need to do is have a new firewall end crimped on to suit your needs.

I would just automatically go to an aftermarket compressor and custom hoses where a manifold is readily available.  Pick and chose parts from the catalog that  measure up and look like they'll fit.  Any 20-30 years old compressor would likely be ready for retirement anyway.  There's nothing worse than building an A/C system only to find out the used compressor is crapping out and you have to evacuate and rebuild it again due to a motor burn-out that leaves all kind of debris and acid in your new hoses,  condenser core, evap core, filter, accumulator, TXV valve...  A "universal" replacement motor/manifold should be around $300.  Restomod should be able to supply that stuff too.  Their kits should supply everything but engine brackets that fit and the crimping service.