coolant/block heater?

GLUGS

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you are. For most locations nothing is needed if the engine is in good tune and you have a good battery. If might be as simple as changing the oil to 10w or 5W30 but no high speed highway driving on these oils.

There are block heaters that replace a core plug and there are those that are plumbed into the heater return line. I think you can also get a dip stick heater that warms the oil. If getting down to 0 F I would also get the battery warming blanket. Cold cranking amps are much increased by simply having a warm battery. I lived in Ontario in the mid '70s and had a new '76 B-210. Brand new, the first winter wen it got really cold it would only turn over 2 or 3 times... the oil was too thick. In line heater, battery warmer and 10W oil was needed at 15 below F. As soon as I got up I turned the power on the extension cord. By the time I left over an hour later she was all warmed up.  

• Like 2

im in central/northern Alberta so it get pretty cold up here, and i personally havnt had problems starting cars up in the winter but ive always driven a fuel injected car. And from what i rember of stories about my fathers carbureted 520 one cold day he was only able to start up the car after heating up the engine with a tiger torch. And im trying to get my 620 to be daily derivable and id prefer to not resort to that sketchy of methods just to get across town. 

And i was looking at using either 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil and freeze plug heater like this https://www.amazon.ca/Kats-11401-Watt-Frost-Heater/dp/B000I8TPG4/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1530847524&vehicle=1974-67-1043-20--31---6632------1-0&sr=1-3it looks very similar to the oem part i saw floating around online

But thanks a bunch i would have never even thought of a battery warmer

• Like 1

When living in Montana I bought an external 300 Watt tank heater.  Removed the block drain plug [on my RL411] installed a hose adapter.  Connected the hose to the external heater input.  Installed the 300 Watt heater directly under my battery.  Why waste all that rejected external heat?  The battery loved it on minus 40 degree nights!  Installed a plastic angled tee fitting in the heater input hose [the usual pot metal fitting supplied with the heater dissolves in the presence of iron blocks and aluminum heads, not to mention brass heater cores].  Worked like a charm !

When I moved to San Bernardino CA [after 5 years in Wyoming, Montana and Nebraska we deserved it] I took the Datsun to a service station [i was too busy to do it myself] and asked them to remove the heater.  The mechanic was amazed, he had never seen one.  I saidi "If you have never seen one of these, then I am in the right State!"

By the way, there are VW inspired heaters that bolt on to the oil pan an even very dangerous propane fueled heater coils that install on the lower radiator hose.  If it's that cold and you don't mind possibly burning down your garage or car port, the propane is an option!  I personally don't recommend it !

They work like a coffee perk, if anyone today has ever seen one. When working they chug chug as it boils, pushing the warmed coolant ahead of it. The one I had has to be pointed towards the water pump return. Heater valve must be on HOT but that's never a problem in the winter.

I remember my dad putting a comforter over the engine in his '51 Chev. :lol:

• Like 1