chatting fuel pump relay

wivrrat

Last week my 6 prong RY-55 relay started to chatter.  I replaced it with a new relay and I'm still getting occasional chatter, expecially at start up and initial running.  This is the small square relay attached to the larger oblong fuel pump relay.  What would cause this?  Do I need to change out the larger relay also? Could this be a sign my electric fuel pump is having problems.  Or should I just ignore it.  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not buzzing, its clicking on and off.  I thought the relay was related to the fuel pump.  Will it hurt anything or cause me problems clicking?  thx for the reply.

• Like 1

If it's the little plastic relay about an inch square then it's the choke heater.

5pFu2tn.jpg

It needs a solid alternator output to stay ON. If weak it will chatter on and off and the choke may not fully warm up and turn off. It's never the relay.

If you have replaced your alternator this is likely the cause as the 'new' ones are mostly poor quality. I think NAPA can test your alternator output.

• Like 1