Sign in to follow this  
bonvo

Curious about coilover sleeves

So as im starting to mock up my coil overs a question comes to mind the sleeves dont fit tightly to the strut tube what prevents them from spinning on the strut? I know the weight is taken by the perches welded to the tube and they dont move when weight is on them but what about when you lift the car and are trying to adjust them i can see that you weld the collar on in a way that the gland nut kinda locks them down but is that really enough?

I have a set of cheap ones that are maybe 1/8" clearance all the way around the tube. They have counter sunk set screws that you turn in with a hex wrench to more or less center them. I never thought about this and assume that even with the wheel off the ground there will always be some compression of the spring and enough friction to hold the tube.

Ground Control kits used to come with an o-ring to slip between the strut tube and collar.

I had 2 big o-rings (I think 2" inner diameter), with packaging tape holding them to the strut. It looked like something techno toy tuning did when they built the coilover kit. The O-rings were about an inch above the perch and an inch below the gland nut.