Buying parts for rear brake rebuild 510 wagon - Dorman wheel cyls?

rosso

I am getting all the parts together to redo the rear brakes on the 510 wagon project.

Has anyone used Dorman wheel cylinders?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drum-Brake-Wheel-Cylinder-Rear-Dorman-W96472-fits-68-73-Nissan-510/361981117025?fits=Year%3A1972%7CMake%3ADatsun%7CModel%3A510%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A1.6L%7CTrim%3ABase%7CEngine%3A1.6L+1595CC+97Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+SOHC+Naturally+Aspirated&epid=1018875200&hash=item5447c18261:g:DtYAAOSwg4tbIS8W&vxp=mtr

I thought I would just replace them since it's so cheap even though the ones on the car appear to be working and not leaking.

New shoes and drums are just from local parts store.

Thanks,

Michael

aka rosso since my first 510 was red

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DON'T fix what ain't broken. A $5 part is worth just that, hell it's 6 times that to ship!. These are just like the ones I bought for my 710, exactly looking and $22 (CDN) at the store each. Raybestos brand and clearly marked Made in China. I would imagine the factory ones are $40-$50 each, so half that at an auto supply for close to original quality.

I adjusted my rear brakes and saw some wetness before the Canby trip. Master was dry but they didn't arrive in time to put on. Strangely the fluid level has not dropped after filling and the brakes work better than ever. I'm not replacing them unless they are obviously a problem.

The best thing would be a rebuild kit with just the seals. I've rebuilt wheel cylinders before and it's easy and just a few bucks each and with good results. These days everything is just....

38i25-RMK5G9G3T60-Full-Image_GalleryBack

Thanks Mike,

The car has been sitting for many years so I figure the wheel cylinders are probably all dried out, even though they appear to not leak yet.

All parts I order are free shipping and Dorman brand I thought was better than average.

What about Centric or AC Delco?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163084940210?ul_noapp=true

What about brake drums - local auto parts store wants $46 each (Duralast) and A1 Auto or Wagner brand online are about half that.

It's been 20 years since I have been working on a 510 so I am really out of touch with how to economically work on the project wagon. And there is lots to do and I still need to get an engine. :-)

Cheers,

Michael

Drums are cheaper to have turned and you'll know they and concentric unlike the Chinese ones. Basically you get what you pay for. Jap made is pretty much the best and still is.

I'll be pulling mine apart to check that there are nu aluminum chips and debris in the cylinder, and that the seals are lubed. I recently replaced the clutch master and did the same.

Thanks John,

I looked at some Beck Arnley wheel cylinders and they look really rough, so far the Dorman seem to have the best castings and retaining rings for the price. The Centric also looks good for price and including shims and parking brake lever. Still investigating...

Cheers,

M

Mike,

I beat on the drum so hard to get it loose (since I wasn't going to try and save it) that I am sure it is distorted/dented and wonky. Whatever drums I do buy, I might have the local machine shop check for roundness if you think that is such a big problem. And I haven't got the cylinders off the car yet - so maybe they will be okay to clean, lube, and reuse. Thanks.

Next time you come through Port Angeles, give me a shout out and come by to see my strawbale house and the goon. (where did that name come from?)

Michael

Goon??? Wagon... wagoon.... goon.

They look good and dry and the shoes are not worn down through the linings yet. A shop can give them a light trim to true them up. Replacement is only if they have been trimmed too much already and are past the max wear indicated on the casting. It'll say something like Max 10.0" or something similar. Drum brakes need to be thick to absorb friction heat from sudden panic stops.

Thanks John,

I looked at some Beck Arnley wheel cylinders and they look really rough, so far the Dorman seem to have the best castings and retaining rings for the price. The Centric also looks good for price and including shims and parking brake lever. Still investigating...

Cheers,

M

The way the castings look shouldn't be as much of a concern as the internal pieces,piston and seals.Trust Japanese made before Chinese.I put a Centric brand clutch master cylinder in my sons truck.It leaked bad in 6 months.I didn't even deal with the warranty,i just bought a different brand.So far so good.Cheaper is usually not better.

Agree with you John about workings being important vs castings; however the B-A cylinders also seem to have a stamped steel retaining ring for the seals instead of a formed wire. Seems like a sharp edge holding the rubber seal in place is not a good idea vs the round wire.

I guess it's a toss up for which is likely to be better.

Thanks for the info, I'll continue to look.