J13 engin spark timing

oldsnake

Hi all

I installed DIY ECU for use in ignition. Now I have a problem with settings. BTDC ignition time Please help me if I set it right.I use 36-1 teeth trigger wheel install in Crank pullay.

This is distributor cruve for j13

N3JQYf.th.jpg

This is vacuum cruve

N3JRVb.th.jpg

This is my spark table please see Two rows on top

N3JUia.th.jpg

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36-1 is a common timing wheel for a lot of Ford engines around the turn of the century, using coil packs instead of a distributor.  The wheel is set to time the engine 10 degrees BTDC.   The engines computer supplies a SAW signal (Spark Advance Word) that advances the ignition timing depending on RPM, engine load, altitude, knock sensor activity, and probably other factors I forgot.

Typically, with a mechanical distributor, centrifugal and vacuum advance, I would set the timing at idle at 10 degrees BTDC, vacuum advance disconnected from the distributor, and plugged to avoid a vacuum leak, and idle speed below the RPM the mechanical advance starts to advance the timing.   

Then I would advance the timing, until I heard the beginning of spark knock, then retard about 2 degrees. 

Be advised, if the exhaust is loud it can be much harder to hear the beginning of spark knock.

• Like 1