Flywheel - starter combo

I have a highly modified L-16 engine block that I hope to mate with a 280zx 5 speed gearbox. The starter is bolted to the gearbox. I am using a Fidanza flywheel  (5 bolt) on the crank.7" disc diameter... So...the question is: which starter should I use? Will the 280ZX starter be compatible with my flywheel? I don't know if the L-16 starter will mate up to the gearbox bolt holes either...I think the L-16 starter may have been lost over the years...this has been an excessively long project for me.  (Life got in the way)...Any help in this dept would be highly appreciated..Thanks in advance...

Tiger 03447

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the starter, starter ring and it's location on an L flywheel... they are all the same. If that Fidanza wheel is a direct replacement for an L series flywheel it will work with the starter also. 7" clutch disc????? The smallest stock disc is 7.88" that's a 200mm. You sure about this flywheel?

I have an '84 Maxima L24 six cylinder gear reduction starter on my L20B. Starters come in all sizes but they all bolt up the same.

• Like 1

thanks for the insight. The Fidanza flywheel is 12 inches in diameter. I tried to fit the L-16 starter to the 280Z trans but the holes won't line up. Looks like I'll have to go with the 280Z starter.  Yes, it's supposed to take a 7" inch diameter clutch disc, which should be more than adequate for the car. Makes me wonder how the starter/ring gear teeth will all line up. I'll have to do more checking as to the (stock) disc fitting the pilot shaft (spline count) and trial fit. Then to see if my stock pressure plate will line up on the flywheel. I won't be running the stock PP and disc, probably stage two disc and PP.  When I get ready to fire the engine, I'll have to put up the trans on the engine to get the starter to turn it over...don't really want to do mods on the trans case.

Tell me more about your hi-torque L20B starter. Do you have that on a 280ZX trans? thanks for any help in advance..newbie on the list..

I don't think a stock 200mm PP should be mated to a 7" 177mm disc. Even a 70 hp L16 needs at least a 200mm clutch and PP. There's something wack about this flywheel. If it takes a stock L16 (200mm) PP then why use a 7" disc???

The L series transmissions, flywheel ring gears and starters are all interchangeable. All transmissions used on the L series (and others Z, CA, SD, KA VG...) have the same clutch spline.

• Like 1

Dear DatzunMike: I inspected the flywheel a bit more closely yesterday. It has an 8" ~200 mm disc for the clutch facing. If I recall correctly it's an L20B flywheel with an L-16 5 hole drilling pattern for the L16 crank that I'm using. I'll have to dig out the invoice for it in my file. What brand of clutch disc and pressure plate manufacturer would you recommend for me? Estimated car weight will be about 1500 lbs total...Thanks for your help on all this..wasn't sure about the distances that the starter gear teeth and the ring gear teeth would mesh at. Glad to hear that all is going to fit up OK. Thanks, Tiger 03447

L16 and L18 both used a 5 bolt mounting pattern to the crankshaft. ALL L20Bs were 6 bolt.

ALL L16/L18 car flywheels were 200mm. L20B car flywheels were 200mm but the truck L20Bs used a 225mm wheel

If you have a 200mm 5 bolt flywheel it's for either an L16 or an L18 powered car

Just about any clutch and PP will do.... after all the car is only 1,500 pounds.  The best factory 200mm PP would be for the late 60s Datsun Fairlady Roadster (30210-20111) if they (Nissan) still make them. They have a clamping pressure of 650 Kg vs. the stock 510 of about half that. After market clutches are likely one size fits all or in other words one 200mm for every application. Nissan had 7 or 8 different 200mm 'strength' PPs for different cars or engines. A mid '70s 710 200mm L20B PP (30210-S0100) was rated at 450 Kg. About $90