oil light stays on dim

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power from the fuse box goes through the Red light in the dash and the sender provides a path to ground when the pressure drops below about 8 PSI. The gauge is similar but a varying resistance to ground.

With engine running unplug the sender. If the light goes out then it is the sender and not a pinched wire somewhere. For a flickering light, I would change the sender. This may even bring the 15 PSI up slightly. Maybe the sender is 'tired'.

Now if the oil pressure really is 15, what oil are your using? Today's oils are very much reduced in their ZDDP levels. I urge you to Googlee the ZDDB controversy and make an informed decision on your engine oil. I run Shell Rotella T4 15w40. It's a light diesel oil which still contains the same levels of ZDDP as the oils made in the 1980s. Chevron Delo 400 is also good and anything sold as a Racing oil. Next get a NAPA Gold or WIX filter and NEVER a Fram. In Montana perhaps Rotella T4 10w30 would be better for the minter.

If your hot idle oil pressure remains the same I urge you to replace the oil pump with one from a Hardbody 4 cylinder KA24E or KA24DE engine. They are a high volume unit. I had 17 PSI on an old engine and put a wrecking yard oil pump from a KA engine on it and with no other change it jumped to 29.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...