INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, KoHeartsGPA said:

Cali is a crisis.

Yeah ok.The PNW has no issues like Cali right ? Seattle and Portland have the same issues as any big city does.Without using the "P" word i'd say those two cities and probably others are very similar to what goes on in Cali.Starbucks originated in Seattle,just look at how that disease has spread worse than any Typhus outbreak.

• Haha 1

Starbucks is to coffee what over priced designer jeans are to Levis. Worse actually. Have NEVER enjoyed a Starbucks coffee, ever. Totally underwhelmed... is this what the great unwashed masses accept as coffee? or is it just the fashion accessory cups they like being seen with? Best 'out of the blue' surprisingly good coffee when traveling is on.... B C Ferries.... which is strange because they advertise Starbucks coffee on line though I don't remember seeing the signs on board. All I know is the name... Schooner Blend. So if it is Starbucks how come they can't make it this good on land?????     

• Like 2

Not had Starbucks for ages and ages so cannot remember it too easily.

It's here in AUS but not like all over the place,maybe mostly in capital cities.

In general I am not much of a coffee boffin so don't think too much on what coffee is like unless it tastes like sludge in which case I just pass. 

I appreciate a good bean. I don't have a $2,000 machine at home, not that crazy. I will use a coffee bodum though, a measuring cup and use an egg timer to steep the mix but that's as far as I will go. Away from home I take my chances, and really bad coffee... I never go back. Starbucks is putrid muck and doubly damned by me not ever wanting anyone to see me there. It's like coming out of a sex cinema and running into a co worker. I have a  Starbucks coffee mug at home that was given to someone in a Christmas sampler that I co-opted and put anything in it BUT Starbucks coffee.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, john510 said:

Yeah ok.The PNW has no issues like Cali right ? Seattle and Portland have the same issues as any big city does.Without using the "P" word i'd say those two cities and probably others are very similar to what goes on in Cali.Starbucks originated in Seattle,just look at how that disease has spread worse than any Typhus outbreak.

I agree, same people run Oregon and Washington, thanks for making my point 🤐

2 hours ago, thisismatt said:

It's all subjective.  I have a sugar tooth, so I love me some caramel macchiato, hot or iced depending on weather...yum

I don't like it sweet myself, but I didn't dislike that one, I like espresso myself, Starbucks used to be better when it first arrived then they started watering down their blends and charging you extra for another shot, fuck that, there are better quality cheaper smaller coffee shops.

I live where Kona Coffee grows, so I’m too much of a snob.  I like sweet coffee, but never sugar (sucrose).  I use a little Heavy Cream, which has plenty of Lactose.  That’s sweet enough.  And I’ve been known to add a shot of Baileys on Sunday.  Sweetest drink of the week.   

Starbucks tastes burnt to me.  I hate it.  If anyone wants great coffee, I know many growers/roasters.  Usually around $15/lb.  shipped as soon as it’s roasted.  I’m actually hooked on a Kauai peaberry these days.  Super good stuff.  But that’s $20/lb or more.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I appreciate a good bean. I don't have a $2,000 machine at home, not that crazy. I will use a coffee bodum though, a measuring cup and use an egg timer to steep the mix but that's as far as I will go. Away from home I take my chances, and really bad coffee... I never go back. Starbucks is putrid muck and doubly damned by me not ever wanting anyone to see me there. It's like coming out of a sex cinema and running into a co worker. I have a  Starbucks coffee mug at home that was given to someone in a Christmas sampler that I co-opted and put anything in it BUT Starbucks coffee.

Mike,

Tell us how you REALLY feel about that.

• Haha 1

I'm damn sure the French know a lot about how to make and enjoy a good cup of coffee. I mentioned I used a bodum but that really just the Danish? company that markets what it's really called... the 'French Press'. Starbucks should have consulted them. 

Coffee is a poor way to deliver what we drink it for, CAFINE!!! If I could mainline it I would, but sense I can't I might as well enjoy the best I can afford. These days, Maxwell House is the drug of choice. 

• Like 2

There are plenty of romantic ways of rationalizing our addiction to caffeine, coffee tea or otherwise. It may have taken a while for a European level of sophistication in those rationals, but now it's here, don't wager anything on believing it's a passing fade. Flat out, there is a difference in taste between shitty coffee and good, but all too often price has NOTHING to do with it. Starbucks is case in point. Dark Roast, vs Mild Roast is a matter of taste though, and yes shitty coffee is often hidden behind over roasting, but I can assure you, a high quality dark roast coffee like a double espresso at Cafe Triest in North Beach, or Blue Bottle South of Market is F'n orgasmic. But you'd have to enter the belly of the beast to get it, so...

• Like 2

Darker the roast, lower the caffeine.  Espresso has very low caffeine.  Light roast is appropriate for breakfast.  Med/dark is best for evening.  

Theres plenty of science/proof that the colon absorbs caffeine quite well.  Sorry Mike.  That said, as far as I know there has been zero evidence suggesting that it’s even slightly worth the process of getting it up there.  I like drinking it juuuust fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1