INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

8 minutes ago, wayno said:

There is nothing there worth rebuilding, cheaper to buy a complete decent driver,  Datsun Roadster parts are unobtanium.

Anything on them is worth something. Easily breakable things like marker and tail lights, anything chrome, emblems, Dash knobs, switches, gauges. Extremely unlikely but the H-190 may be LSD. They are money pits though.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They certainly are money pits, I put a fortune into mine back in the mid 90s and parts were half of what they were even 10 years later, I do not regret buying the car, doing it the way I did it was the only way I could afford to do it(nickel and dimed to death), and used parts were still around at a reasonable price.

Mine runs and drives great, but I daily drove it for years back in the 90s/early 2000s when I was still flying hanggliders, now I hardly ever drive it.(insert sad face here)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fetch said:

Yup, Datsun, what a shame. I can't make out a lot of detail from the picture size, both look to be between '65-'70. Engines are out of both, front disk brakes are gone from the white one. Most likely, parts have been sold off or taken off and used on good roadster(s) in the garage. There could be a bit of salvageable parts yet.

41 minutes ago, wayno said:

There is nothing there worth rebuilding, cheaper to buy a complete decent driver,  Datsun Roadster parts are very expensive.

I was thinking more like potential new Datsun friend. Roadsters are in my opinion not worth restoring vs. buying restored due to the cost unless you have a giant stash of parts already.

• Like 2

Call the auto parts store for items needed for the vintage cars - "NOPE! The computer says I can't even ORDER it! It's unavailable!". Browse rockauto and they offer it from three different manufacturers. Wait......it shows I purchased one. Look in the glove box of the ailing vintage vehicle: yup - there it is, new in the bag. Many such cases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you find a Datsun in a wrecking yard and are looking it over for parts you need, always check the glove box. Often the PO will buy a part and then not get around to replacing it. I've gotten a brand new U joint, crank seal and spark plugs. Not in the same truck.

• Like 2
On 12/25/2018 at 6:48 PM, datzenmike said:

Anything on them is worth something. Easily breakable things like marker and tail lights, anything chrome, emblems, Dash knobs, switches, gauges. Extremely unlikely but the H-190 may be LSD. They are money pits though.

Mike, don't get all down on roadsters. All cars are money pits. You yourself stated you would cry if you kept track of the money you have spent on your rig.

Parts are getting scarce and these cars are kept going through the great handy work of their owners. I have seen it on these pages and am envious of the work put into them.

• Like 1

Yeah, neons aren't a great loss. A local yard had a Rambler with an I6 and some kind of aftermarket water injection system that just looked so cool plumbed into the base of the carb! He wouldn't sell the system without selling the entire engine so I never got the system. Eventually he crushed the entire car, having never sold a part off of the car.

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

Call the auto parts store for items needed for the vintage cars - "NOPE! The computer says I can't even ORDER it! It's unavailable!". Browse rockauto and they offer it from three different manufacturers. Wait......it shows I purchased one. Look in the glove box of the ailing vintage vehicle: yup - there it is, new in the bag. Many such cases.

Image result for computer says no gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Sounds just like a Datsun parts hoarder.....

A few years ago an article turned up on line about the estate sale of a Nash/Rambler parts hoarder. The pictures were full of nothing but very elderly men on scooters and walkers. The author suggested the fellas were tripping one another to get to the parts they wanted. Men on the verge of death still fighting over parts for an orphan make whose minty hardtops and convertibles don't even bring major cash struck me as especially sad for some reason.

• Like 4