INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

IF...... this was really true, it's so that people don't find out that it's really made of basically nothing special. 

It's mineral oil and Xylene, an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent that doesn't work for too long and once used need to be re-applied. No squeak ever goes away permanently.

And here it is,the secret formula made public by Mr.know it all.The stuff works great.It must with annual sales of $381 million.

People bought lots of Justin Bieber albums... doesn't mean he was great.

It's a perfect money maker like an analgesic. It lessens/ removes pain temporarily but not the cause, so you have to keep buying more. It works fine but it's no miracle. I recommend it for cleaning lubing throttle linkages all the time... and more. Armed security guards and briefcases? secret formula??? In this day and age!!! is just theatrics. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

IF...... this was really true, it's so that people don't find out that it's really made of basically nothing special. 

It's mineral oil and Xylene, an aromatic hydrocarbon solvent that doesn't work for too long and once used need to be re-applied. No squeak ever goes away permanently.

You got it, 50% mineral oil, but the other half is not xylene. A while back WD-40 had to submit a toxicology report and although they didn't submit the "formula", they did turn over the components. It's a stoddard solvent which is a mixture of numerous hydrocarbons. The blend has three components, 40% alkanes known as paraffins, 40% cycloalkanes called naphthenes, and 10% aromatic hydrocarbons. A complete list of the individual components of what's in stoddard solvent is not held by WD-40, that belongs to the Air Force (1989b)

54 minutes ago, paradime said:

You got it, 50% mineral oil, but the other half is not xylene. A while back WD-40 had to submit a toxicology report and although they didn't submit the "formula", they did turn over the components. It's a stoddard solvent which is a mixture of numerous hydrocarbons. The blend has three components, 40% alkanes known as paraffins, 40% cycloalkanes called naphthenes, and 10% aromatic hydrocarbons. A complete list of the individual components of what's in stoddard solvent is not held by WD-40, that belongs to the Air Force (1989b)

It's the mineral oil that water proofs and lubricates and does the heavy lifting. Solvents just hold it in suspension and dilute it for spraying. To some extent it allows it to penetrate but but it evaporates and leaves........ mineral oil

The "WD" stands for Water Displacement. Where plain mineral oil would just sit on top of water, stoddard solvent is unique in that it is insoluble in water and at the same time about the same density as water. It literally displaces the water so the mineral oil penetrated to make contact with the metal surface rather than floating above it. 

Trust, I'm no fan of this crap, but it is a product invented and based in San Diego. John510 and I are from... you guessed it.  

Edited by paradime
1 hour ago, KoHeartsGPA said:

This is absolutely hilarious!

This is one of the things in USA that occurs regularly and I love it,a lot more out there in terms of stirring shit up.

In Australia there's not the same kind of thing cept for the racial/immigration thing and even then it's a VERY small % who will turn up on either "side" whereas in USA people will make the effort to do like that the BBQ guy is doing. 

• Like 2

I'm all for humane treatment of all animals, specially the tasty ones. So these protesters keep those companies who police themselves a little more honest. 

Did they say Fearman's Meats??? Wow, when I was 7-8 I lived on a Fearman's Meats pig farm south of Hamilton. I even went to the plant in Burlington once. They made Mary Miles brand bacon. Mmmmmmmm ......... bacon.

• Like 4

Not sure about USA but in AUS the meat industry is well regulated (it's just not a militia) ?  so I am quite comfortable chowing down on any animal meat that takes my fancy.

Not a buyer of the notion that the meat industry is a serious contributor to climate change either. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, VFR800 said:

Not sure about USA but in AUS the meat industry is well regulated (it's just not a militia) ?  so I am quite comfortable chowing down on any animal meat that takes my fancy.

Not a buyer of the notion that the meat industry is a serious contributor to climate change either. 

Extremely heavily regulated.

My old job had me going to slaughterhouses pretty much every week. The onsite FDA guys usually were happy to have someone to talk to who spoke English ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/6/2018 at 8:48 PM, VFR800 said:

This is one of the things in USA that occurs regularly and I love it,a lot more out there in terms of stirring shit up.

In Australia there's not the same kind of thing cept for the racial/immigration thing and even then it's a VERY small % who will turn up on either "side" whereas in USA people will make the effort to do like that the BBQ guy is doing. 

It's not in USA ,, the Tim Hortons in the background gives it away.. and the "make Trudeau" hat the girl puts on backs it up.

• Confused 1