INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, KoHeartsGPA said:

Interestingly enough, that's how avocados used to be before humans started genetically modify them, same with watermelon and many other foods.

More like selective breeding.

• Haha 1

Avocados looked like that since I was a kid. We grew them in grade 2 from the almost ping pong sized seed. IF they have been 'modified' it was to provide disease resistance or improve freshness but they aren't any bigger. GMO has only been around for 25? years. Hell DNA was only discovered in the 50s.

Easier to only allow foods and animals breed that have the best traits. Time consuming though.

• Like 1

Genetically Modified through selective breeding, then grafted as saplings for the best root stock.  This grafting is why you see 1000’s of trees with extremely similar fruit.  Avocados are notorious for being a lottery if grown straight from seed.  We have trees fruiting year round here in HI.  Different types have different seasons.  Some have even grafted different seasons into same tree, but I’ve not seen that in person.  My tree, in season, drops 20 a day.  I eat a lot, but can’t keep up.  Superfood status

Edited by tr8er
  • Like 2

But the body is up maybe near the top of the suspension travel.

I had the entire rear axle out of my '55 Chev. Went out and jacked up by the rear bumper and I don't know why but I kicked a spare tire under it while jacking. The absolute last thing I expected was for the jack to fail. Was never going to happen and the spare was really a waste of time. I slid under the rockers just ahead of where the rear wheel would have been to get at the muffler or driveshaft, I can't even remember what. Well the jack collapsed and down it came, frame across my chest. Pinned and could only suck quick gasps of air. Took 6 guys from the body shop next door to lift it off. Were it not for the thickness of the rim and tire....

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

But the body is up maybe near the top of the suspension travel.

I had the entire rear axle out of my '55 Chev. Went out and jacked up by the rear bumper and I don't know why but I kicked a spare tire under it while jacking. The absolute last thing I expected was for the jack to fail. Was never going to happen and the spare was really a waste of time. I slid under the rockers just ahead of where the rear wheel would have been to get at the muffler or driveshaft, I can't even remember what. Well the jack collapsed and down it came, frame across my chest. Pinned and could only suck quick gasps of air. Took 6 guys from the body shop next door to lift it off. Were it not for the thickness of the rim and tire....

We wouldn't be reading this 😬

• Haha 2