INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe I've discovered the emergence of a social psychology phenomenon in the modern workplace. It appears that when employees really know their shit there is an inverse relationship where someone as dumb as a bag of rocks is put in charge. Conversely, when you have brain fart employees, someone very bright is put in charge. Is this an evolutionary form of social groups naturally seeking some intellectual yin and yang balance, or is it some cultural generational feedback loop where the nihilistic rebel against authority X generation spon the physically isolated social media enabled self centerist Y generation?  

This is what happens when I run out of weed on a weekend. 

• Haha 3

This dude will come in for police drama as the road/area he's on has a LOT of riders and all it takes is for him to make a verbal threat of violence in front of two people for the cops here to be able to lay charges.

His adding gravel onto the road also is a crime and if it is proven he is doing so also criminal charges follow. 

So it's only going to go south for him as the riders will not be stopping riding there anytime soon. ?  

• Like 2
23 hours ago, paradime said:

I believe I've discovered the emergence of a social psychology phenomenon in the modern workplace. It appears that when employees really know their shit there is an inverse relationship where someone as dumb as a bag of rocks is put in charge. Conversely, when you have brain fart employees, someone very bright is put in charge. Is this an evolutionary form of social groups naturally seeking some intellectual yin and yang balance, or is it some cultural generational feedback loop where the nihilistic rebel against authority X generation spon the physically isolated social media enabled self centerist Y generation?  

This is what happens when I run out of weed on a weekend. 

Well.... hopefully this will make you feel better...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Would it really matter if it was true???

Why would you build a virch reality where the 'beings' in it have AI????????? and may or may not question their reality??? Just to promote an argument that we? might be be experiencing a constructed reality???? and therefor may not be real??? Seems too elaborate to me.

I think virtch reality is just a poor but increasingly improving copy of reality. Just because we are getting good at it doesn't mean we are in one. Any more than because we exist there must be aliens out there too. Virtual reality involves only hearing and seeing, there's no touch, smell or taste involvement. While watching you are still being pulled down by gravity, (you can't 'float' in outer space or base jump) and you can't experience cold or hot. When watching a stupid movie there is 'suspension of disbelief' well for now, when gaming, there is 'suspension of sensory disbelief' So unless in the future you have some kind of sensory stimulation connection to blank out your own reality and transplant a different one, you will always be able to tell the difference. Virtch reality has a long long way to go if you think about it. 

• Like 1

What's the point of using such esoteric hypotheses as quantum entanglement to rationalizing the possibility that my existence may be just a synthetic reality when I'm still trying to explain why none of my sox match. If I open my dryer and a portal returns my fucking sox that would be proof positive there's an alternate reality. Until then, these guys can practice mental mastrubation all they want, I'll stick to "traditional" methods.

• Like 1

I have convinced myself that there is nothing in the world — no sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies. Doesn’t it follow that I don’t exist? No, surely I must exist if it’s me who is convinced of something. But there is a deceiver, supremely powerful and cunning whose aim is to see that I am always deceived. But surely I exist, if I am deceived. Let him deceive me all he can, he will never make it the case that I am nothing while I think that I am something. Thus having fully weighed every consideration, I must finally conclude that the statement “I am, I exist” must be true whenever I state it or mentally consider it. (Descartes, Meditation II: On the Nature of the Human Mind, Which Is Better Known Than the Body).

• Like 1

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

In connection with the above posts,the human eye has not only a refresh rate and frames per second process for the eye to take in whatever it is directed to look upon but also then light being a wave and a particle means of course we have the spectrum of what we can and cannot see.

Other living creatures ranging from cats,snakes to even oceanic life forms can see night vision,infra-red and heat vision (snakes have poor "vision" as compared to us) but use the glands/pits to sense movement and of course have high levels of accuracy with this form of vision.

Gamma Rays cannot be seen by the naked human eye but they are there.

As the current Astronomer Royal Lord Martin Rees explained in a visit giving a  lecture to a Melbourne University  that all of our current understanding of things like how life functions or the conditions required for various life forms is still in such infancy that much more could exist and we simply cannot see it.

The planet earth has creatures on it that survive perfectly well breating pure methane that of course is toxic to us.

So fundamentally the speculations are not "good" or "bad" to do and as mentioned it is our nature to want to know more and be curious.

Understanding and comprehension of the plethora of what maybe does exist even right in front of us be it life forms or deeper facts in the fields of physics that has simply not yet been discovered is a frontier.

Edited by VFR800
  • Like 1