INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

15 hours ago, a.d._510_n_ok said:

465736ea508985885fe0abc47de09ae7.jpg

For 35 Years, The Longest Sniper Kill Was With a Ma-Duece

Posted July 28, 2016 in Daily News by Nathan S with 79 Comments
Tags: .50, BMG, Browning, M2, Ma Duece, Snipers, Vietnam

FsrQzl.jpg

While the current record for the longest “confirmed” sniper kill is over 2,700 yards (just over 1.5) miles, with a .338 Lapua Magnum round, for nearly 35 years the record stood not with a traditional centerfire rifle, but with a modified M2 Browning Heavy Machine Gun, affectionately known as the “Ma Duece”

The “sniper?” None other than the famous US Marine Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock III. Using a 8x scope common for the era (a Unertl), Hathcock engaged the Vietcong from a stabilized tripod mounted M2. Per the book Inside the Crosshairs: Snipers in Veitnam, by Colonel Michael Lee Lannig stated that Hathcock engaged a moving target on a bicycle at over 2,500 yards, requiring two shots.

Hathcock’s first round disabled the bicycle (blowing off the handlebars), the second struck the enemy soldier in the chest.

The record stood for over 35 years including US missions in various low-intensity conflicts such as Somalia, Panama, etc., and larger wars including Desert Storm. It was finally broken in 2002 by a Canadian sniper using the same round, albeit this time in a purpose-built highly-accurate platform using likewise purpose-built ammunition.

P57fWl

Gunnery Sergeant Hathcock is still a legend within and outside the Marine Corps. Post-Vietnam, Hathcockhelped established the Marine Corp’s Scout Sniper school along with training the best of Tier 1 units including Navy SEALS, Army Delta, and others.

• Like 3
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I've done this. Massing with the driveshaft '55 chev with no rear axle. If I hadn't kicked the spare under the bumper.... Took 6 people to lift it off me.

circa 2003, I was hauling a load of ready mix through the vanilla hood when I saw a gaggle of EMTs and cops surrounding a third gen Camaro with no wheels on it and sitting flat on the ground. As I made my turn, I could see legs (still moving) protruding from underneath.

• Like 1

My favorite memes are the ones where people that speak English with atrocious grammar say “Speak English, this is America”.  The America’s have over 1000 native languages between them.  English having been here less time than any of them...  Bigots myopic handicap.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1