INSMNCS: will the real insomniacs please stand up?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tradition.

It's the glue that holds us together as a group. It connects us to our shared past, hinges us to the present and carries us into the future. Traditions are universal to all cultures and are familiar and comforting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, q-tip said:

Haven't cared about British royalty since 1776 when we decided they REALLY didn't matter. 

You have your own 'royalty'. Complete with palace guards and touristas. It's all the same. I wouldn't cross the street to see either.

• Haha 1

I don't mind the Royal family.  I actually like that part.  And guards are a good thing for the Palace.  I just think they've endured enough laughter to tone back the leg kicks and poofy hats.  When I go to hot dog on a stick (if I went), I don't get 5 star chefs in clown gear.  I don't know how many great soldiers don't work for the guard because of the hats, but I doubt it's zero.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Tradition.

It's the glue that holds us together as a group. It connects us to our shared past, hinges us to the present and carries us into the future. Traditions are universal to all cultures and are familiar and comforting.

Just because something is "traditional" is no reason to continue it, take slavery for instance. Cultural stagnation might be comforting, but when the mind is comfortable it's in decay.

I'm sure it was comforting to the slave owners.

Many traditions have been dropped or lapsed. There's good and bad ones but they still unite us in groups. (good or bad) A commonality.

22 minutes ago, paradime said:

. Cultural stagnation might be comforting, but when the mind is comfortable it's in decay.

Rubbish!!!!!! You participate in traditions almost every day and they are familiar and comforting, otherwise why have them. Like a handshake. Saying simple ritualistic things to strangers like "excuse/pardon me" or "hello, pleased to meet you" and "sorry' even if you are not. (unless Canadian) . Driving on the right side of the road. Sunday family dinner or certainly Thanksgiving , Christmas or Easter dinner. Wearing black to a funeral. Taking a hat off indoors. Lighting a Christmas tree. Presents at festive occasions. Rice throwing at weddings, white gowns, rings and veils, toasts, giving the bride away, endless traditions here... Standing under mistletoe. Black Friday shopping, Boxing Day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I'm sure it was comforting to the slave owners.

Many traditions have been dropped or lapsed. There's good and bad ones but they still unite us in groups. (good or bad) A commonality.

Rubbish!!!!!! You participate in traditions almost every day and they are familiar and comforting, otherwise why have them. Like a handshake. Saying simple ritualistic things to strangers like "excuse/pardon me" or "hello, pleased to meet you" and "sorry' even if you are not. (unless Canadian) . Driving on the right side of the road. Sunday family dinner or certainly Thanksgiving , Christmas or Easter dinner. Wearing black to a funeral. Taking a hat off indoors. Lighting a Christmas tree. Presents at festive occasions. Rice throwing at weddings, white gowns, rings and veils, toasts, giving the bride away, endless traditions here... Standing under mistletoe. Black Friday shopping, Boxing Day. 

Strong till the end.  You finished super weak.  

Some group's traditions can look pretty silly to others, even discomforting. ^^^

So where do we draw the distinction between interpersonal social norms/customs, rules of navigating in society or on the road, religious ritual, counterproductive habits, and dressing a soldier in an outfit that has no logical function other than clinging to a dramatically outdated  esthetics?

In the case of the queens guard the shear height of their uniform hamper's their ability to actually guard the queen, or even stand at attention. I've been to London and watched the changing of the guard. I will admit it was impressive, but although I am primarily of Scottish and English decent, I took no comfort in the gaudy display of theatrics. 

• Like 1