85 720 stalling under load

Epcass

Ahoy, I am having an issue stalling under load.

2wd 1985 720 with a Weber.

She starts and I can rev her up all day.

After one or at most two laps around the block,

Stalled.

While stalling, I give some gas and she bogs down and comes to a stop.

Won’t start for a bit, then the issue repeats itself.

Has a new fuel pump and new fuel pump relay.

I recently replaced the ignition control module in the distributor with one pulled from a junk yard, and that helped a different sort of stalling issue. Then replaced the fuel pump and pump relay but to no avail, she’s a stalled.

Could it be the used ICM? If I replace with a new one, a new distributor is only $80 more. That little chip is $200! Could it be the new fuel pump? It was a generic pump from O’Reilly. If it was an issue with fuel pump pressure would it even make it around the block once?

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it out and warm it up. Find somewhere where you can floor it till it quits. ASAP get the ignition off and the car out of gear and pull over safely. If this is a supply problem you don't want the ignition on and the pump to refill the carb while you are stopping so get the ignition off ASAP! Now look at the glass on the front of the carb. Over full ?? Level?? Or empty???

Look at the glass window on the front of the carb. Fuel level should be in the middle.

If no gas it's a supply problem. Pump or relay not working, clogged filter (even new ones could clog up) Can you hear the pump working? Clogged fuel line? Float set too low. Filter in carb inlet clogged.

Over full might be float set too high. Over full will flood. Could be from too much fuel pressure. Should be 3.5 PSI.