720 with 83 200sx rear end

Kingcab

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off you would have 4 bolt rims on the rear and six bolt on the front.... kind of hokey.

Pretty sure the 200sx axle is a couple of inches narrower per side than the 720. I put an '80 200sx axle in my H-165 710 to try it... and it fit. I doubt it the '82-'83 200sx with the H-190 is any wider.

If you try to swap just the axles with the disc brakes on them, I doubt they  will be long enough to reach the differential in the wider 720. Also the splines are car 23 and not truck 29, You could put the car 23 spline side gears in the 720 differential but at best you still have four bolt rims rather than the six bolt on the back. Not likely to work anyway.

If you were to run  the 200sx axle complete, (although very likely much narrower) I would cut all the 4 link off and weld on leaf spring perches so it would bolt right on. Now you still have four bolt rims on the back and six bolt on the front.

I think BEEBANI sells rear disc brake conversion kits for the 521/620/720 trucks

• Like 1

What benefit are you trying to achieve? Just 4 link? Better to swap a 1st gen pathfinder axle. 6 lug, lsd, disc brakes if you want them, not a huge amount wider than 720 stock.

Narrower for super tuck on the rims? Swap something leaf spring.

Tell us your goal. If you have to ask how hard it would be to 4 link the truck, it's hard to assume you possess the skills to do the job. You need to correct place in three dimensions all the mounts, likely after building them from scratch, then weld everything well enough you're not a death trap.

• Like 1

Well I dont have cash to buy a rear end and I have a 200sx sitting here. I was trying to see if maybe I could use the pre existing 4 link set up and just fab mounts to my frame.

What's wrong with the 720 rear end? exactly.

• Like 1

If by "brackets" you mean fabricating an entire rear subframe than yes, it's possible. Even with a 200SX suspension sitting in your back yard though, "possible" becomes a moot point if you're asking if it's possible.

• Like 1

If you can't afford a 720 rear end you can't afford to swap this over either. As mentioned it's probably too narrow. It's 4 bolt rim so make the front rims match??? It's 4 link and the 720 is leaf spring. If from a standard it's got a 3.545 ratio which is crappy for a truck.

So again, what's wrong with the 720 rear end. Maybe it's something small and easily fixed. Certainly got to be cheaper that a 200sx swap... if it can be swapped.

• Like 2

Mike is correct, it would be cheaper to put a used 720 rearend in your 720 than to buy all the needed materials parts and tools to install the 200SX rear suspension.

Sounds like maybe sell the truck and by a Prius.

• Like 1

Hahaha. There nothing wrong I'm just seeing if maybe I could put this 4 link rear end on my 720. Like I said it's just sitting there so maybe I could use its parts for a poor man's drift build. I have a welder I have time I have plenty of scrap mettle to use I also have a shop with all tools needed for this project.i already c notched for 3 inches of clearance.and I also have a few 4 lug wheels I really want to use I'm just trying to see if maybe someone had some good advice on what exactly i would be getting myself into. (It's a poor mans drift truck build)

• Like 1

Sometimes having something handy is the worst reason for using it. Does the 720 rear end work???? Then use it. You can easily find a truck differential with better gears for 'drifting' than those in the 200sx. Yours are probably 3.889? look on the engine tag located on the passenger side inner fender under the hood hinge. Bottom line, TRANS/AXLE...... FS5W71B...... HF38. The 38 is the ratio. Look for an HF41 or HF43. Hell a 4.625 (HF46) even. Just pop the axles out 6", disconnect the driveshaft and unbolt the 3rd member and lift out complete. Weld it up (also known as a Lincoln locker) so it's like an LSD... this is the fastest way to increase over steer. Drifting is really just an over steer competition anyway. Add a stiffer leaf or 720 4x4 leaf pack. They are lower and stiffer.

• Like 1

Well the Hardbody axle is wider (I think 160" rim to rim) so it'll be tough to fit the rims and tires inside the fenders on a C notched vehicle. There were H-190 on the 4 cylinder Hardbodys just like your 720, but the gearing is a little on the high side for drifting. The other axle is used with the V6 engine and is a monster H-233, but it did come with an LSD option with the 4.375 and the 4.625 gearing. If you can find the axle but not the LSD, the Pathfinder 3rd member will swap into the Hardbody axle.

I would just find some 4.375 gears from a 620 or 720 and weld them up if just drifting..

• Like 1

I'm really trying to go 4 link cuz when I drift the rear end bounces so and insane amount I already got the lowering leave springs for the d21 and moded them to fit my 720 and it still hops way to much! If I can find a good cheap 4 link rear end I will do what it takes to fab it in. And idk what you mean by "just drifting" but the rear end moves a lot when sliding I'm trying to get as little movement side to side as well as hoping up n down.

• Like 1

It makes a big difference sliding smoothly without the hop and left to right movement while sideways. As I would assume you already know more than I could think of lol.

I'm kinda a dumyy and just learning the proper parts to use. But If I'm piontes the proper detection i can fab all the metals needed for the swap.

• Like 1

Just drifting = purpose built and not necessarily for daily driving. If just for drifting you can do things to it that would make daily driving it impractical.

Coil spring and 4 link can wheel hop also if not set up properly. There shouldn't be any side to side movement of the rear axle. The leaf spring pack is stiff enough to resist side to side movement of the axle in a slide, or should be. If leaves have been removed to lower the body... that would cause this. Instead have the leaf springs flattened or de-arched. The 720 4x4 spring pack is flatter than the 2wd and much stiffer. I think it would be better to work with what you have than to change everything for something that doesn't really fit the truck and still have to sort it out and make it work.

• Like 1

My 620 drifted better with leafs, than after going 4-link.

Wheel hopping is most likely due to poor shocks.

I was running Bilsteins on my leaf springs with 2" blocks.

No wheel hop at all.

If you are running larger blocks, you will also be getting more axle wind up, contributing to wheel hop.

Old fashion bolt on traction bars hill help eliminate the wind up, and a good set of really stiff competition shocks.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/traction-bars?ibanner=SREPD4

14_21.jpg

traction-bars.jpg

lak-21710_xl.jpg

• Like 1