Oil Pump Replacement

Going to put in a new oil pump because the gasket on the old one leaks and thought as long as I'm in there I'll put a new pump in.  So I looked at the process to put in the pump with the manual that I downloaded and they seem to make this process seem like a huge undertaking.  How hard is it to do this?  Can I just line it up with TDC, take off distributor, and swap it out or do I need to do something more?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's super easy. No need to mess with timing the motor (other than re-checking ignition timing and making minor adjustments when done). Probably less than an hour for the average Datsun mechanic.

-Mark distributor location and remove distributor

-Used needle nose vice grips or equivalent to grab the top of the oil pump drive spindle. Clip the top to keep it from falling down when you remove the oil pump.

-Unbolt oil pump, drop it out of the way.

-Clean gasket surfaces, be sure to fill the pump with oil and prime it before installing the new pump

-Install freshly primed pump. You won't need to do anything more than rotate the pump to line the end of the drive spindle up with the slot in the pump, provided you used methods in first step to properly hold the drive spindle in place. Once it's in place, you're pretty much done.

-Grab your timing light, check / set ignition timing. Viola! You're done.

You may have to loosen the sway bar, IIRC I had to do so on either my 620 or my 240Z to slide it out. This may not be necessary on a 510, maybe others can chime in.

Buy either a KA24E oil pump from an '89 240SX or L28ET oil pump from a ZX Turbo. Both are direct swaps and much better than the original L16 oil pump. (higher volume) I like Melling brand oil pumps and used them on all my L motors.

• Like 1

KA24E but not the KA24DE oil pump from an early 240sx or the oil pump from any year KA24E or DE from the Hardbody. Never had a 280zx pump apart so can't say about them being exacxtly the same as the KA... probably.

Can't tell from the outside, the difference is all internal. Look down into the oil inlet hole and on the KA pumps you will clearly see the top of the pump rotor...

7jkQ4Im.jpg

On the regular pump the rotor is barely visible...

V2fckkS.jpg

This is because the KA rotors are 13% longer...

sBzw2v1.jpg

Hot idle on very old L20B was 17 PSI. With no other change but a well used junk yard KA pump it jumped to 29. Top pressure is always governed by the relief valve spring... usually 55-60 PSI. The KA pump will give higher idle and low speed pressures. Check your new pump and make sure you are getting what you paid for.

• Like 1