BLUEBIRDSSS

!! CANCELED!! WILL BE RESCHEDULED 14th ANNUAL MARCH 15th, 2020. DATSUN NIPPON CAR SWAPMEET -Eagle Rock recreational center parking lot

3 hours ago, wayno said:

I live in Washington State where we get a lot of rain, I have never gotten more than 3 years out of them Top End Performance headers before I had to remove it and cut it open, fix where the 4 tubes come together, and then weld the end back on, I did this to 3 or 4 headers from that company, in my searches I found a HOOKER long tube header(Wrecking yard/made out of better material) made for what I believe to be a 620 but I don't know for sure, that did fit my work truck(521/LZ23), I also found a very thick/heavy metal shorty header that has never been used yet, and I still have a Top End Performance header(shorty), The last time I had the work truck apart I removed the header that was on it and I replaced it with an earlier L16 exhaust manifold(smog shit removed), I did not notice any performance loss, and the engine is slightly quieter, I have Dual SUs so it is still noisy.

I do not regret getting away from the headers, they were always rusting out where the 4 tubes come together on the inside, I suspect that was because the rain water would get in where the 4 tubes come together on the outside and rust thru, in 20 years I likely went thru 5 or 6 of them headers as I would buy them in the wrecking yards used, buy them on craigslist, buy them on ebay when the price was reasonable(under $200.00), I bought the nice shorty(new/not made by Top End Performance) at Canby, and once I bought one direct from Top End Performance(again under $200.00), I have never in my life had to replace a stock L16 exhaust manifold, all my L block powered vehicles have L16 exhaust manifolds now.

I have a Top End Performance header that has never been used I will sell for $200.00 plus shipping, but I ground the flange to clear a Z22 block with a L head on it(trial fit), I never had an issue with any leaks when I did that in the past as my work truck has had an LZ23 in it for close to 9 years now, PM me if your interested.

Yeah it must be the rain water. I have bought 3 of them from TEP. Two shorties and a long tube for my 510. My 510 wagon is in the Bronx, so I don’t know how that one has held up. My 2 door is in Sacramento and I don’t know about that one either. However, my KC still has the same one on it from 2004. It hasn’t been coated or wrapped...Thankfully it’s held up. 

Heat. It accelerates most chemical reactions including oxidation. (rust) Going to thin metal header tubes is just asking for trouble and no one could expect them to last very long when used daily year round. My first an last header was on my 521 and after that experience I'll never do that again. On a stock engine there are no gains to be had as the stock exhaust manifold is more than efficient enough to begin with. I traded a quiet, rust free, leak proof, problem free manifold for.... nothing... and it cost me $80 back in the '70s. Ah, the illusion of speed equipment making a difference in your performance. It's what dreams are made of.

RFFQD1p.jpg

12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Heat. It accelerates most chemical reactions including oxidation. (rust) Going to thin metal header tubes is just asking for trouble and no one could expect them to last very long when used daily year round. My first an last header was on my 521 and after that experience I'll never do that again. On a stock engine there are no gains to be had as the stock exhaust manifold is more than efficient enough to begin with. I traded a quiet, rust free, leak proof, problem free manifold for.... nothing... and it cost me $80 back in the '70s. Ah, the illusion of speed equipment making a difference in your performance. It's what dreams are made of.

RFFQD1p.jpg

Any info where to get one ?

All L16s came with the best manifolds. Later L18s were not as good.

L16 on left has 1 and 4 paired and 2,3 paired to separate the exhaust pulses... 1 3 4 2. The manifold on the right is a later one and you can see that they are not properly separated.

V5o9o8x.jpg

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

All L16s came with the best manifolds. Later L18s were not as good.

L16 on left has 1 and 4 paired and 2,3 paired to separate the exhaust pulses... 1 3 4 2. The manifold on the right is a later one and you can see that they are not properly separated.

V5o9o8x.jpg

Do You where /anyone selling them?

well as I stated we went to LA dropped off 2 sales  met up with some customers in a parking lot for the rest of the pre sales 

thanks to everyone who purchased stuff and especially those who drove to meet in one location 

you guys make the trip worth it and with those pre sales i had it was worth the trip even without the swap

we are back home safe and hope everyone is doing OK with all this craziness going on 

thanks again everyone 

• Like 2

I think I have some of those manifolds in my stash

Lonewolf1990: i can take some after i dig them out

• Thanks 1