New Wagon Owner

d4hartley

Hey all, I just bought an older 510 wagon in Idaho. 1978 in fact with a little bit of rust here and there but nothing a grinder won't fix. Pretty decent shape with a stock l20b 4 speed manual. Interior is decent and all there, gas gauge doesn't work and the brake light in the dash stays on which I need to figure out. Runs and drives great though. 

I'll try to get some more pictures of it once it's bright outside. As far as plans go I am catching up on how to 5 speed swap it and fix the body. I know I'll need a shorter driveshaft which is what i am trying to find. Other than that, just lower it and update the wheels and tires. 

The only other thing I can think of to put here is does anybody have any suggestions as to how to remove unpleasant smells from a car permanently? This has like an old musty smell, can't quite describe it and it won't go away lol.

Let me know if I missed anything!

5ef498d3a25952d0b6a933df54090fd3.jpg

48f82bf64578a7551b3bf6966df3b189.jpg

102c89b88ae11a127146bf4f53e19474.jpg

7ae2144ed5b5609702cd9a76305c7cc7.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!  For lowering the front, I'm pretty sure you can use the 280ZX (not 280Z!!) front struts, 68-73 510 coilovers, RCA spacers & upper camber plates.  Had a local guy with a late HL 510, we compared his stock struts to ZX & we looked at my 68-73 510 parts, looked like it would all work!

TJ

Denver

Cough cough, not a 510, cough. A10, cough.

You're correct. I keep forgetting it was just rebadged...

Welcome!  For lowering the front, I'm pretty sure you can use the 280ZX (not 280Z!!) front struts, 68-73 510 coilovers, RCA spacers & upper camber plates.  Had a local guy with a late HL 510, we compared his stock struts to ZX & we looked at my 68-73 510 parts, looked like it would all work!

TJ

Denver

I've got the zx struts already actually, just had to figure out the rest which you did for me. Thanks!

You’re going to love what zx brakes do to your car, it’s one of the best mods you can do. Those A10 goons are pretty capable for what they are. I once hosted a fun fun that had me and Ranman stepped out on the rest of the pack, with fellow club member Jean in an A10 goon the only car we could see in the rearview.

• 1 month later...

The datsuns have a very unique smell as they age. Best bet is replace carpet and sanitize and steam clean everything. Then sprinkle baking soda throughout and let sit closed up before vacuuming it up or wiping it down. Then try spraying vinegar on the smelly areas and leave a few bowls of vinegar in it closed up for a few days. The vinegar did the trick on my wife's car after buying it from a smoker. Nice 510 wagon! Wouldn't mind having one to match my B310 wagon.