Canby 2019 can't wait

Ranman72

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no one should be blaming Steve as Dave had stated before stepping down 

getting volunteers was sometimes difficult and then the cost going up on top of that 

there were many factors in this I am just glad I was able to go to Canby since 2011 

CANBY WILL BE MISSED FOR SURE 

Started conversation: September 18

I have heard rumors from a couple of the DNW members that canby will not be this year 

is this in fact a true statement or still up in the air 

Thanks Randy

Hi Randy,

This is all up in the air, I'm stepping down from running the club and Canby this year. What the next person in charge does will be out of my hands. If they want to keep Canby as the venue it will be up to them as a club. I had a great time running the show for 3 years, now it's someone else's turn. Long live the Datsun!

Steven 

DNW

thanks for the reply 

I had also heard you were stepping down but didn't believe it 

thanks for the info and honesty 

is it ok if i post this in the canby 2019 thread 

I am currently looking for my replacement in our DNW group. Have a few interested in taking over, we will see if someone steps up to the plate. I'd like to be the one to announce this, I will be having a meeting in the next month and after that I will make some announcements. Thanks for your support Randy.

Steven

DNW

I'm stepping down cause I just don't have time, I run a big shop in Portland that takes a lot of time, I have a 6 and 9 year old and of coarse they are involved in way to many things, go kart racing, bmx bike racing, RC car racing, soccer, etc,  oh and then there's that school thing too. It was fun running the show and I'll stay involved and help out the next crew as much as they need.

Steven

keep me posted 

as for now it is only stated that I heard Canby may not happen 

we can hope someone will step up to the plate and continue the legacy of Canby 

Ranman72

• Like 1

Yah Steve hate needs to stop. We get it. You don’t like him. I’m sick of the bashing. They all worked their ass off to put on a good show.  It is a ton of work to put on a show of this scale.  Thank you Steve and everyone for doing what they could.    At the end of the day it also comes down to lack of help.  Every year 20-30 people say hey Dan I can help at blue lake this year.  Yet the day of the show we get like 5 volunteers. Our members are getting old.  Who knows how many years we have of blue lake even.  This is our 35th year.   

I for one am sad we have lost a great Datsun show that started the summer for us. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

For those who havent been to the club page, here is some copypasta...Sad news, but hopefully something new can grow from the ashes.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT:

Hello to all our past and present Datsuns Northwest members and Datsun community in general.

For the past 13 years Datsuns Northwest and crew have enjoyed a great time putting on many Datsun events like BBQ's, cruises, parties and of course, Canby, our 3 day campout car show.

Canby has been a unique car experience to the Northwest Datsun community, with many great friends and memories made throughout the years.
That being said, it is with great displeasure that we have to announce, Datsuns Northwest has closed it's doors. We are packing it in. Canby will be no more.

Dave and Julie did a great job running the show for the first ten years, then Steven took the reins for the last three years and had great success bringing Datsun racing icons, John Morton and Peter Brock to our show. These last three years were some of the best yet. Thanks to Steven's leadership, we can be proud to say, Datsuns Northwest, and the Canby show is leaving on a very high note.

Datsuns Northwest will be donating all of our leftover funds, shirts, sweat shirts and any other supplies to the people of Paradise, California to help them after their tragic 2018 wildfires. 

Thank you to all the Datsuns Northwest members and volunteers that helped keep us going for 13 years. Thank you to all the hard core Datsun owners, from all over the world, for supporting us and the Canby show all these years!

Make sure to check our website occasionally, as we will be continuing to do cruises and get togethers in this coming year.

7 hours ago, danfiveten said:

Yah Steve hate needs to stop. We get it. You don’t like him. I’m sick of the bashing. They all worked their ass off to put on a good show.  It is a ton of work to put on a show of this scale.  Thank you Steve and everyone for doing what they could.    At the end of the day it also comes down to lack of help.  Every year 20-30 people say hey Dan I can help at blue lake this year.  Yet the day of the show we get like 5 volunteers. Our members are getting old.  Who knows how many years we have of blue lake even.  This is our 35th year.   

I for one am sad we have lost a great Datsun show that started the summer for us. 

Sad? I'm more let down than sad. I mark my holiday time at work for next year as soon as I get back from Canby trip in late June. It's the reason for having my holidays in June and they are looked forward to and built around the Canby odyssey. The primary reason I took 15 months to apply for and receive a passport to travel there back in 2010 and every year since. Now all gone and only memories are left. Last year was the last time I saw many of you guys.

I was kind of stunned when Steven told me Monday.   Over the years I have offered to help out wherever needed.  when I heard Steven was stepping down,  I offered again.   at that time, he thought they had someone.   

I have attended most ,if not all of the 13 years of the Canby show.   my family and I have always looked forward to it, & I will keep some hope that the members of Datsuns NW will regroup at some point and restart the Canby show. 

until that happens...

While no show can really REPLACE the Canby show,(or any of the other,longtime running events) We will be making some changes to the Silver Falls show, in an attempt to fill the void left by the Canby show not happening. 

We will be making it a weekend,camping available event, in June, with some of the activities we all enjoyed at the Canby show, & some new ones also.  I will make an official announcement when we have a few more details nailed down.   we should have more information at the Wilsonville Sonic meet on January 12th.   I need to make reservations at Silver Falls State Park, & they don't do that until after the first of the year. 

• Like 4

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT:

Hello to all our past and present Datsuns Northwest members and Datsun community in general.

For the past 13 years Datsuns Northwest and crew have enjoyed a great time putting on many Datsun events like BBQ's, cruises, parties and of course, Canby, our 3 day campout car show.

Canby has been a unique car experience to the Northwest Datsun community, with many great friends and memories made throughout the years.
That being said, it is with great displeasure that we have to announce, Datsuns Northwest has closed it's doors. We are packing it in. Canby will be no more.

Dave and Julie did a great job running the show for the first ten years, then Steven took the reins for the last three years and had great success bringing Datsun racing icons, John Morton and Peter Brock to our show. These last three years were some of the best yet. Thanks to Steven's leadership, we can be proud to say, Datsuns Northwest, and the Canby show is leaving on a very high note.

Datsuns Northwest will be donating all of our leftover funds, shirts, sweat shirts and any other supplies to the people of Paradise, California to help them after their tragic 2018 wildfires. 

Thank you to all the Datsuns Northwest members and volunteers that helped keep us going for 13 years. Thank you to all the hard core Datsun owners, from all over the world, for supporting us and the Canby show all these years!

Make sure to check our website occasionally, as we will be continuing to do cruises and get togethers in this coming year.

I'd say it's time to start looking for alternate sites.

Bummer. I've been looking forward to the year that I finally get the opportunity to make the cruise cross-country to Canby, I guess things just weren't meant to be eh??

Always seemed like a really fun inclusive event for all Datsun owners, sucks to know it's over. I guess all good things have to end at some point, right?

• Like 1

My first was like a holy pilgrimage. It was magical. I drove non stop and got there at 11:30 PM. Dave's wife heard me driving up and down outside the fence and yelled... "Is that an L series I hear?" She went an got the key and let me in. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, tr8er said:

Just go anyway.  Whatever asshat event that reserved the grounds buy tickets and show up in Datsuns.   Show Canby how we do it in a Datsun.  

Renaissance fair. It bigger, more people attend, they have deeper pockets.. and well that's just how it goes.

It does't have to die.. it just needs new venue.. and a new coordinator I guess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1