changing lowering blocks

oukippy

Hi,

I'm planning to replace the lowering block on my future 620 because it's too low for French speed bumps.

Could someone tell me what might be the size of the blocks used by the previous owner, based on the following picture ?

https://framapic.org/gallery#6ZY39ara4q1S/96y5SSZJL7yF.jpg&gid=1&pid=1

Do I need to buy a complete kit or these will be enough ?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Extruded-Spring-Lowering-Blocks/dp/B075FG4681/ref=sr_1_cc_7

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They look like 3" (75mm) to me but they are easy to measure..

Those U-bolts look to be rust free, so you probably can reuse them, but (I would cut them shorter, so they don't get caught on something.

• Like 2

i would guess 3 inches, and you may want to look into getting another leaf spring pack as well. that one looks ridiculously flat. also what g-duax said, keep the u bolts but cut them down

Those are really flat. I can't really see what's going on there, but with that clamp on the front of the springs, I wonder if someone flipped a leaf in there. 

• Like 1

I agree that springs are very flat. Maybe that's why the truck seems that much lowered. I will probably drive it a little bit like this but I have many speed bumpers in my town and I'm afraid to touch them with the exhaust pipe, which seems very low to me, as you can see here:

https://framapic.org/AV1yrKPqst7n/qZ5zlosVDblU.jpg

And I agree with 2wheel-lee that a leaf was probably flipped. Look at the following picture, it looks like a S for me :

https://framapic.org/RgjaKSdzR8tQ/nOU1XUAKpbG4.jpg

**********************************************************************************

Out of subject but I tried to post directly the pictures but I thought they were too big for the forum. Any way to force them in a specific size or do I have to modify them before posting?

• Like 1

And I agree with 2wheel-lee that a leaf was probably flipped. Look at the following picture, it looks like a S for me :

https://framapic.org/RgjaKSdzR8tQ/nOU1XUAKpbG4.jpg

**********************************************************************************

Out of subject but I tried to post directly the pictures but I thought they were too big for the forum. Any way to force them in a specific size or do I have to modify them before posting?

That little curve close to the shackle right next to the middle spring is normal. It looks like they may have ground off the stock spring and used those clamps on the springs instead (you can see the rust marks left behind where the stock clamps were). The stock clamps allow the springs to slide and move a bit when they compress. That U-bolt clamp may not. I'd suggest taking those clamps off. Though the middle leaf may move slightly sideways, which is what the stock clamps prevent, if the axle U-bolts are tight, they shouldn't move much. 

• Like 1

Spring isn't flipped or the eyelet would look different. This is what they look like without the three missing shorter leaves. The single thick over load spring probably doesn't flex at all and it's probably a stiff ride as is. Lowering blocks look more like 4" and way too tall. Measure them, if 4" those Amazon blocks are cheap so get 2". Start with the 2" I think that should make the difference. When you get it sorted CUT those bolts.

It probably has a lot of drive shaft 'moan' because the angles are bad from lowering that much. Going back up 2" might get rid of most of this. 

• Like 1

Spring isn't flipped or the eyelet would look different. This is what they look like without the three missing shorter leaves. 

I remember that some people used to flip the middle leaf. They'd grind off the leaf clamp, then use U-bolts, similar to what was done here. Yes, it's a tedious job (I tried it once) But I don't think that's the case here. 

• Like 1

Personally, I don't think it matters if leaf springs flex until they go flat, or if they start flat and go negative.  There are advantages for both scenarios.  You likely have a better ride starting with flat springs, if you'd buy some new gas charged shocks.  I'd bet yours are as bad as the bushings look.  

I think stock springs were 6 leaf, plus one really thick short one.  If I recall, they have about a 7" arc to them when uncompressed.  

Driveshaft angle can be compensated for by bolting in a riser at the center driveshaft mount.  It'll make your U-joints last longer too.  

• Like 1

The springs in my Rover run close to flat, and I have wheeled it this way for over a decade with no issues.  I should post up a pic of what they look like when the truck is fully flexed up. They look like a sign wave that you could surf on.

So no, flat springs are not going to be a problem. And yes, they will be more comfortable than a spring with an arch.