Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
521turbo

New Member SR521

Recommended Posts

Hi, I just joined the forum when I bought my ‘71 521 pickup. Im a car guy/mechanic/nissan enthusiast. I previously owned a ‘96 200sx with GTi-R Pulsar motor which I regretted selling. I picked up this truck because I always liked the jap mini trucks and Im a nissan fanatic. The idea is to SR swap it ratty style and do body work little by little. So far Im working on it on my spare time until I collect all the parts, tow it to my shop and get r done! Pics coming soon!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

GLWS. Post pics.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks bro..I will as soon as I figure out how, lol. I need a pedal box too. If anyone has one laying around or knows anyone that does would be greatly appreciated! The ones on the truck now are chopped up due to the last swap. Looks like they had a v8 in there bc the tunnel was worked on, has dual exhaust, and a Ford 9”. Right now its a roller.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Redeye here has SR20 swap mounts go give you a head start!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hopefully the frame mounts weren't all hacked up stuffing that SBC in there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hopefully the frame mounts weren't all hacked up stuffing that SBC in there.

Thank God they werent. I chopped them old ones out and grinded and painted... Good as new  :thumbup:

 

 

Redeye here has SR20 swap mounts go give you a head start!

Thanks...I already got'em!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Looking forward to pics :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ok...she's not preety but here she is....

 

IMG_9121_zpsfbg97pxj.jpg

 

IMG_9126_zpstoufoz2y.jpg

 

IMG_9123_zpswkvgu4ow.jpg

 

IMG_9223_zpss2kbrnkf.jpg

 

Cutting out the old welded SB mounts....

 

IMG_9219_zps5rpycu92.jpg

 

IMG_9218_zpsrnsoc5my.jpg

 

IMG_9128_zpssyrirqac.jpg

 

 

Hope you like the pics....more to come as soon as I make more progress  :thumbup:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Finally towed the car to my shop and I have made some progress...I got my sr20 swap in its an s15 motor with 6 speed 🤩. I dropped in and pulled the motor out a couple times already as I hit some bumps. The truck had the pedal box mashed up as the previous owner had an automatic and chopped off the clutch pedal. The MC hole on the firewall was torched out to fit a ford MC 😣. Tunnel was opened up way too much and no room for foot for gas pedal. luckily I bought a pedal box from a forum member and Im cutting and welding the fuck out of this thing to make it right. Here are some pics.....

 

IMG_9458_zpsitoboizm.jpg

I reindexed it bout 3 notches. These are my Explorer wheels I had laying around..They fit perfect and got some Neo gens

 

IMG_9405_zpsj2qcxou5.jpg

 

I got the sr20 521 mounts from redeye. But since its a 6speed, tranny mount is a little short. I have to modify the tranny mount. I will post some pics as soon as I do.


IMG_9394_zpsovk1abd6.jpg

 

IMG_9388_zpstucnq8ee.jpg

Parking brake bracket has got to go....

 

IMG_9386_zpsc5bqkklf.jpg

wastegate sitting on steering column.....

 

IMG_9356_zps79eurjea.jpg

Got these from Jegs. Ford 9" disc upgrade. Rear discs and KYBs

 

IMG_9334_zpskkn7wnym.jpg

Feel free to post comments, opinions, suggestions, critisize, correct my grammer....Im open and dont give a f***

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Truck looks good. 

How short are they for the 6-speed? I can make sure my next run has enough adjustment. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The bell cramk assembly for the e brake can be completely removed and you can use a 620/720 e brake cable and handle mechanism instead.  a little mod work to get ebrake handle bracket to fit 521.

I also swapped out the chassis to a 80 720 reg cab short bed chassis.  This gave me the removable trans mount and the e brake and also disk brakes.  Another benefit was it moved the pitman arm and the idler arm out of the way, also a rag joint steering column.  Some down falls are the tank mounts on the right side which I removed and will have to add back the ebrake cable bracket and the hydraulic brake hose bracket that was on the rear tank mount.

Check out my 66 520 build for more build mods that might help you in you build.  Link below in my signature.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Truck looks good. 

How short are they for the 6-speed? I can make sure my next run has enough adjustment. 

Look at the second pic. Im just going to notch the mount and move it forward. I will post pics so you can see. Thanks for the mounts!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Excellent, I can duplicate your modifications. Thanks and you're welcome. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

This what I did to my 66 520 frame to get the engine as low and at the proper angle.

 

DSC01351_zps4af27b9b.jpg

 

This also helped with tunnel clearance but I still had to do the tunnel mod.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, Charlie69 said:

This what I did to my 66 520 frame to get the engine as low and at the proper angle.

 

DSC01351_zps4af27b9b.jpg

 

This also helped with tunnel clearance but I still had to do the tunnel mod.

That’s nice work. Why did you need to lower the motor height? What engine you running?

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, 521turbo said:

That’s nice work. Why did you need to lower the motor height? What engine you running?

I just wanted the L20B automatic sitting like a stock motor.  I used the new style trans mount and that raised th tail of the trans about 2".  It is not neccesary on the 80 720 chassis as it uses the new style transmount and has a removable trans crossmember.

 

Old truck trans mount with bracket

Early_Datsun_Trans_Mount_with_Bracket.jp

 

Newer trans mount

Later_Datsun_Nissan_Trans_Mount.jpg

 

As far as your tank goes there is kits available that make your carbed tank into a in tank pump fuel injection.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I just wanted the L20B automatic sitting like a stock motor.  I used the new style trans mount and that raised th tail of the trans about 2".  It is not neccesary on the 80 720 chassis as it uses the new style transmount and has a removable trans crossmember.

 

Old truck trans mount with bracket

Early_Datsun_Trans_Mount_with_Bracket.jp

 

Newer trans mount

Later_Datsun_Nissan_Trans_Mount.jpg

 

As far as your tank goes there is kits available that make your carbed tank into a in tank pump fuel injection.

 

 

 

 

Thats the thing.....I have no tank.

Share this post


Link to post

65 to 72 520 and 521 tanks will fit.  There is a 520 tank on ebay been there off and on for months.  Many guys are removing the spare tire and installing a fuel cell there between the frame rails and installing the filler neck in the bed.

Share this post


Link to post

I think Im going to go with a fuel cell in stock location.  The truck has one mounted in the bed now but its old and got to go.

Share this post


Link to post

There's more room behind the differential where the spare would be.  A fuel cell would have to be very narrow and long to fit between the frame and the driveshaft. Does anyone in this age carry a spare? On a long trip like to Canby I carry plugs and I have a 12 compressor. More than enough to get me to a garage. The rest of the time I'm 5 miles from home.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, datzenmike said:

There's more room behind the differential where the spare would be.  A fuel cell would have to be very narrow and long to fit between the frame and the driveshaft. Does anyone in this age carry a spare? On a long trip like to Canby I carry plugs and I have a 12 compressor. More than enough to get me to a garage. The rest of the time I'm 5 miles from home.

Yea you're right I measured and there is no room in stock location. I am going to mount behind the diff. Anybody done this?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.