New Member SR521

Hi, I just joined the forum when I bought my ‘71 521 pickup. Im a car guy/mechanic/nissan enthusiast. I previously owned a ‘96 200sx with GTi-R Pulsar motor which I regretted selling. I picked up this truck because I always liked the jap mini trucks and Im a nissan fanatic. The idea is to SR swap it ratty style and do body work little by little. So far Im working on it on my spare time until I collect all the parts, tow it to my shop and get r done! Pics coming soon!!

• Like 3
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bro..I will as soon as I figure out how, lol. I need a pedal box too. If anyone has one laying around or knows anyone that does would be greatly appreciated! The ones on the truck now are chopped up due to the last swap. Looks like they had a v8 in there bc the tunnel was worked on, has dual exhaust, and a Ford 9”. Right now its a roller.

• Like 2

Hopefully the frame mounts weren't all hacked up stuffing that SBC in there.

Thank God they werent. I chopped them old ones out and grinded and painted... Good as new  :thumbup:

Redeye here has SR20 swap mounts go give you a head start!

Thanks...I already got'em!!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Finally towed the car to my shop and I have made some progress...I got my sr20 swap in its an s15 motor with 6 speed ?. I dropped in and pulled the motor out a couple times already as I hit some bumps. The truck had the pedal box mashed up as the previous owner had an automatic and chopped off the clutch pedal. The MC hole on the firewall was torched out to fit a ford MC ?. Tunnel was opened up way too much and no room for foot for gas pedal. luckily I bought a pedal box from a forum member and Im cutting and welding the fuck out of this thing to make it right. Here are some pics.....

IMG_9458_zpsitoboizm.jpg

I reindexed it bout 3 notches. These are my Explorer wheels I had laying around..They fit perfect and got some Neo gens

IMG_9405_zpsj2qcxou5.jpg

I got the sr20 521 mounts from redeye. But since its a 6speed, tranny mount is a little short. I have to modify the tranny mount. I will post some pics as soon as I do.

IMG_9394_zpsovk1abd6.jpg

IMG_9388_zpstucnq8ee.jpg

Parking brake bracket has got to go....

IMG_9386_zpsc5bqkklf.jpg

wastegate sitting on steering column.....

IMG_9356_zps79eurjea.jpg

Got these from Jegs. Ford 9" disc upgrade. Rear discs and KYBs

IMG_9334_zpskkn7wnym.jpg

Feel free to post comments, opinions, suggestions, critisize, correct my grammer....Im open and dont give a f***

• Like 3

The bell cramk assembly for the e brake can be completely removed and you can use a 620/720 e brake cable and handle mechanism instead.  a little mod work to get ebrake handle bracket to fit 521.

I also swapped out the chassis to a 80 720 reg cab short bed chassis.  This gave me the removable trans mount and the e brake and also disk brakes.  Another benefit was it moved the pitman arm and the idler arm out of the way, also a rag joint steering column.  Some down falls are the tank mounts on the right side which I removed and will have to add back the ebrake cable bracket and the hydraulic brake hose bracket that was on the rear tank mount.

Check out my 66 520 build for more build mods that might help you in you build.  Link below in my signature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Truck looks good. 

How short are they for the 6-speed? I can make sure my next run has enough adjustment. 

Look at the second pic. Im just going to notch the mount and move it forward. I will post pics so you can see. Thanks for the mounts!

• Like 1
On 7/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, Charlie69 said:

This what I did to my 66 520 frame to get the engine as low and at the proper angle.

DSC01351_zps4af27b9b.jpg

This also helped with tunnel clearance but I still had to do the tunnel mod.

That’s nice work. Why did you need to lower the motor height? What engine you running?

15 hours ago, 521turbo said:

That’s nice work. Why did you need to lower the motor height? What engine you running?

I just wanted the L20B automatic sitting like a stock motor.  I used the new style trans mount and that raised th tail of the trans about 2".  It is not neccesary on the 80 720 chassis as it uses the new style transmount and has a removable trans crossmember.

Old truck trans mount with bracket

Early_Datsun_Trans_Mount_with_Bracket.jp

Newer trans mount

Later_Datsun_Nissan_Trans_Mount.jpg

As far as your tank goes there is kits available that make your carbed tank into a in tank pump fuel injection.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I just wanted the L20B automatic sitting like a stock motor.  I used the new style trans mount and that raised th tail of the trans about 2".  It is not neccesary on the 80 720 chassis as it uses the new style transmount and has a removable trans crossmember.

Old truck trans mount with bracket

Early_Datsun_Trans_Mount_with_Bracket.jp

Newer trans mount

Later_Datsun_Nissan_Trans_Mount.jpg

As far as your tank goes there is kits available that make your carbed tank into a in tank pump fuel injection.

Thats the thing.....I have no tank.

• Like 1

65 to 72 520 and 521 tanks will fit.  There is a 520 tank on ebay been there off and on for months.  Many guys are removing the spare tire and installing a fuel cell there between the frame rails and installing the filler neck in the bed.

There's more room behind the differential where the spare would be.  A fuel cell would have to be very narrow and long to fit between the frame and the driveshaft. Does anyone in this age carry a spare? On a long trip like to Canby I carry plugs and I have a 12 compressor. More than enough to get me to a garage. The rest of the time I'm 5 miles from home.

• Like 1
On 7/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, datzenmike said:

There's more room behind the differential where the spare would be.  A fuel cell would have to be very narrow and long to fit between the frame and the driveshaft. Does anyone in this age carry a spare? On a long trip like to Canby I carry plugs and I have a 12 compressor. More than enough to get me to a garage. The rest of the time I'm 5 miles from home.

Yea you're right I measured and there is no room in stock location. I am going to mount behind the diff. Anybody done this?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

29708436988_763d43b361_z.jpg

I have a few other things to finish up to start her up....

1- gas tank

2- can am wiring

3- fuse box wiring ( switching to blade box)

4- fuel pump walbro 255 external

5- intercooler & piping

6- radiator & plumbing

7- seats 

8- weld tunnel

9- gauges

• Like 2