L20b, Weber 32/36, 93 Octane Timing Help

Soundline

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Now back to the series of issues I’ve walked into.... because... I did something that’s probably stupid.

I pulled the plugs and they’re a different model of NGK than what I put in. I’m headed out to a friends place now and I started thinking, “why” are they different? 3 options, all equally likely. I bought the wrong plugs, he bought the wrong plugs, or we both did.

I’m putting in NGK BR6ES 4922 gapped at .028. I pulled that number from the FSM... but it’s not the stock L16, it’s an L20B...

He was running BPR6EY (unknown) gapped at >.030 because that’s where my gauge stops. My educated guess is .035 - .040.

Fixed the cracked fuel line, new Accel cap/rotor and NGK wires. Radiator should be done today so I’ll get it all back together and see what happens.

In the meantime, check my math and heckle away. Thanks guys, seriously.

Points run about 0.032" If EI you can gap much higher at 0.043" because of the higher voltage. Be sure your wiring, cap and rotor are in good shape though. A wider gap is harder for the spark to jump and it will look for an easier path to ground. If wires cap and rotor are good there's no problem as the spark plug will be the easiest path.

Wow... so I am stupid... there’s a fourth option of them both being correct.

I just pulled out my other gauge and the previous plugs were gapped between .036 and .046. This might also be some of my problem. That’s a pretty wide variation. Well see. With the collective assistance of you guys and Gato I’ll get this beast on the street.