J13 swap to J15 (520 pickup)

Droski

Question, will a J15 engine out of 73' 510 bolt in to a 66' 520 pickup? I know that the J15 and J13 are very similar. If this swap is possible how much more power will I gain, the top speed right now with the current J13 set up is about 60-65 wondering if it would be even worth it to make the swap.any info is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

J15 must be from a Mexican 620 because we only got L16s in the 510. Better check and see. Maybe someone swapped one into a 510..... although I do not see why.

But, a J15 is only a bored out J13 and will look identical on the outside so if you have a J13 an J15 will swap right into a 520.  It will make about 10 more hp

If your just looking for better freeway cruise, better to change the rear gear as the J15 is not going to make much of a difference there. Just going to max out a little quicker. I swapped from the stock 4:88 to a 4:37 from a 521 and it helped out on the freeway and didn't kill acceleration that much. If I ever build a 520 again, I would seriously consider something like a 4AG engine swap as it's a fairly compact engine and makes good power. The J motors are just barely powerful enough for in town driving, let alone on the speeds people drive on the highway now.