L20b compatible Carbs

HI All - so before I get destroyed by the Ratsun family for starting this topic - let me say I did conduct a search and maybe I didn't do it so right - but I couldn't find the information I required regarding compatible carbs for a L20b motor on a 510.

I have access to picking up a set of Solex C40 DDH Carbs. my issue is - when ever I look up any info regarding them - they only say "Alfa Romeos" but I've had a couple of people tell me that they are compatible with the l20b motor.

im skeptical. I've found that the Solex C40 ADDHE are compatible with the L16-L20 motors but no mention about the Solex C40 DDH.

would the infinite ratsun family and their wisdom be able to tell me if this particular Carb is actually compatible with my motor or should I tell this guy that he'll need to adjust his ad??

even pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as any help would be.

please and thanks

:)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can run almost any small engine type of carb if you have the right manifold and know how to jet it. 

Single downdraft, twin sidedrafts  and single sidedrafts. MIkuni carbs are basically copies of Solex carbs, so yes, they would work, if you have the right manifold and jets

• Like 1

As Racer and Jessie said, compatibility is relative. If I can add my $.02, a set of carbs off a 1000cc + motorcycle. May not be "bolt on" compatible, but it's a great option. Low cost, look sick, loads of parts and upgrades, and more unique than most. Worth researching.

42284454192_72da03f567_z.jpg

• Like 4

If on your L20B manifold then stock carb or with an adapter a Weber 32/36.

If you look you may find a manifold and set of L16 SSS or L18 SSS Hitachi SUs from Japan. Fit right on, simple, reliable (once adjusted) infinitely adjustable and some modest power that the stock carb can't provide. For one, the air goes straight and doesn't have to make a 90 degree bend under the carb.

1Upfvv6.jpg

Yamaha R-1 carbs on my home made intake...

LKRqT0r.jpg

• Like 1

I believe , Solex side draft carbs normally have the same mounting pattern as a side draft Weber.  So you should be able to just buy a manifold for Webers or Dellortos and bolt them up. 

Have the dude take a picture of engine side of carbs with ruler between mounting holes and compare.. 

You definitely want all of the linkage you can get to make it easier but making your own isn't impossible. 

When we had those polished SUs on Doodies car most of the info i was getting was SU carbs aren't a good choice 

for an L20b.  Unless it has been professionally "tuned" for one... Something to do with engine size as they were originally on a 1600. I don't think it was is cam cuz the sss 1600 ran a good size cam out of the box

Unless you are very good at tuning Webers ( Solex in your case ) anything would be better as they tend to be on or off ,, not much around town driveability as a 32/36 

something weird is going on with sentence editing tonight .. 

RacerX (awesome nod to speed racer), JesseC, BananaHamuck, Banzai510, Loungin112 and DatsunMike thanks for the heads up on all this awesome info. I'm blown away by the support. Paradime wow, it didn't even cross my mind that you could possibly have bike carbs as an option. Speechless.

Definitely will consider this as an option.

And of course DatsunMike would have a setup like this already. Top notch.

So the manifold is the key here. If the seller doesn't have the manifold or has one that was for an L16, would it fit on the L20b? I know the seems like a stupid question, but this is my first 510 and carb'd car. And I've read some posts where loads of parts from the L series motors are interchangeable. I see Weber 32/34 mentioned a couple of times, but I'm assuming that's for down draft setup?

If the seller does not have the manifold, would it be hard to track one down?? Using BananaHamuck's ruler method would be a safe move regardless?

DatsunMike - the adapter you mentioned, would that be compatible with these carbs? Is it expensive? And the manifold you fabricated, how did you know what length to make them? Did that play a factor? Your manifold looks longer than those posted by Paradime. Also, would you recommend bike carbs as a cheaper solution? Or is fabricating a manifold offset the savings one would make with purchasing carbs?

RacerX - the ones this seller has are side draft (I'm pretty sure you knew that already) and I think I want to go with that look, well because I like it better than the down draft setup. Lol is there a higher level of maintenance for side draft carbs over down draft?

Sorry for the questions.

Also, anyone from the Canadian Ontario region, specifically Toronto, know of a place that could:

- shorten a drive shaft

- install a 5spd tranny

I know the last question is off topic, but I thought I'd ask since you guys were helpful with my initial post.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Sorry, another dumb question. The bike carbs:

- is there a specific brand that is best or any bike would be good?

- should they come off a bike that's at least 1000cc?

- does the year of the bike play a factor?

- these should come with a fuel line, right?? Or do I need to fabricate one?

I know... What a noob.

I'm learning guys. Or at least trying too.

Thanks for any answers provided

My only consideration for intake length was that the carbs fit without hitting the strut tower. I have yet to fit them as I have the car insured for the summer and don't want it off thew road. Later or in the fall before the weather gets bad. Still have to work out some kind of vacuum advance and a throttle cable to replace the linkage.

At some point Yamaha went to EFI so early 2000s? 1,000 cc at 14,000 RPMs would be about the same as a two liter at 7K? Here... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7862-r1-carbs-lots-of-pics/

DatsunMike - thanks for the link. That was a good read. Pictures didn't load for me though :( but that's fine.

I found a set for a low price, off a '99, would that do?

The seller for the solex carbs is looking to get 600 dollars for his set. A bit high with no manifold to come with them.

It's a cable on the R1 carbs, which helps. No linkage to bind but the 510 set up on the firewall would have to go. The 620 and 521 truck use a cable. That link probably covers how to cobble something together, it's a long long read, but probably in there.

If you need soemone to install a tranyy you might be over your head already. One need to tell us what 5 speed you have your money suplly ect otherwise we are not mind readers. Maybe you live in a Apartment complex and need to get this dont before it starts snowing and you have a car that is working already.

Does this car run already right now?  otherwise just put a 32/36 weber on there and just drive it.

One needs to start with basic carbs before buying alot of Junk sidedrafts with no part support and hoping its going to work,

There are some Ontario people I think on the 510 realm.

I have a sidedraft 510(really had 2 untill recently).

I like driving my stock type 521 Weber 32/36 better as its just ezeier to drive daily.

• Like 1

Honestly, I would pass on the Solex carbs, just because of parts availability and cost to tune. Buying jets can get expensive. 

I would highly recommend a Weber 32/36 for ease of use and availability. Maybe move up to the bigger carbs as your experience grows. 

K740__41673.1379046145.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

What they are saying sounds mean but they r trying to save you money and headaches. Side drafts and ITBs looks and sound cool but if you are new to this kind of stuff its going to cost you tons of money. That's why they recommending 32.36 weber, its an easy install and not much more are required. You can use the stock throttle linkages, just don't buy the EMPI brand.

Banzai510 - ya - installing a tranny is not my forte - I'd rather have someone do it right the first time rather than me jam it in miss something. The car runs no problem. Currently running a downdraft carb with a 4spd tranny. the tranny I have waiting to be installed is a 5spd off a '77 280z car. Im in no rush to have everything done for the car - but I would like to be able to take it on the highway without it screaming like it currently does.

DatsunMike - thanks for the heads up on the R1 cable and what would need to be removed from the 510.

Jesse - Thanks for the suggestion on the Weber 32/36 - maybe when I fail to secure some other carbs - i'll just go with that. or maybe i'll just get that for now till I find some decent side draft carbs.

RacerX - ya - I think that's the sense I got from reading these posts. granted im fairly green in the Datsun world I have worked cars/bikes/heavy equipment before. but - ya - I'd rather be cautious than sorry and broke.

we'll see.

if anyone knows anyone in the Toronto area - or knows a member here that's from around this city - please let me know who they are - I'd really like to get this tranny installed.

Thanks for the all info everyone! :)

I would just leave it along and drive it on sundays Esp if a nice 510.

If a beat rotted 510 then try doing it yourself as its not worth that much money and they are EZ to learn and no loss if sits on side of house forever.

I drove a 4 speed or 20years and I thought it was fine.

Now I got a Subie 3.7 GR and a 5 speed and still run it in 4th most of the time.

Its is nice to have 5 speed but I only changed it when the motor was out for something else and had all parts ready to go when it was time. Otherwise I would not have done it . esp if the drive line needs to be shorten. best to buy a spare driveline and get it cut. These are the liitle things you can be doing to get ready for a swap w/o taken car off the road. then wait for a clutch change.

also somebody can swap a trans but he might not have done a Datsun also which might be not better than you.

Banzai510 - Thanks for the info and suggestions.

The 510 is in pretty good shape and runs decent as is.

Hopefully you're hitting that 5th gear on the highways/freeways. I wouldn't really know where I could get a spare drive shaft. Datsun 510's are definitely not a common car in Ontario. i'll poke around though and keeping an eye out. As for the tranny - ya - I thought of that too. They guy might not know much - but I did ask this one "Nissan/Datsun" garage if they could do it - they said they'll look into it - but never got back to me or returned my messages. oh well.

also - is it forbidden to swap out the original radio? im pretty sure the one I have is dead..