510 Auto to 5 speed hole cutting

beev

Hello,

I posted this in the 510 realm but wasn't able to find a solution, they suggested I try here. I tried looking here but the search function doesn't seem to be working. I am sure this is covered somewhere. I have a 510 automatic on the tree and am going to convert it to a 280 5 speed transmission. However given that the auto is on the tree there is no reference for where to cut the hole in the tunnel. Does anyone have the measurements for location and pattern for the hole I need to cut? The best information I can find says don't cut the brake lines. Seems like sage advice but brakes only slow you down.

I was given this as guidance already but it doesn't have a starting location and is a way bigger hole than I need.

http://www.datsport.com/Transmission_cu ... rsion.html

Thanks for the hours saved if someone has these details! It is difficult to measure 3 times and cut once without measurements.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

beev, yes we discussed this on The Realm. I'm sure someone has put a 71B 5 speed in a pre '71 automatic but I don't recall any.

About all I can tell you is that from the front top of the transmission where it bolts to the engine, it's 79.7 cm or maybe easier to measure exactly 29 inches back to the center of the shifter. That's to the center of the holes for the pin that holds the shifter.

8MqrLrt.jpg

I just went out and measured this on my spare zx 5 speed. If your engine is in place, and level, measure back from the block surface where the transmission mounts to it and mark the underside of the tunnel. Drill and open up a hole, say the size of a tennis ball. Mount the transmission and now that you can see exactly where the shifter will be, expand the hole to suit. I can't think of a place to measure from on the body inside or out and be this accurate.  

• Like 1

A boot from a mid to late 70's MGB looks appropriate in a Datsun, and the heavy gauge chrome ring (black on later models) makes it easy to mount and keep in good condition.  The early ones had a round ring, while the later ones were oblong.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MGB+shifter+boot+and+ring&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU_JqFl6HbAhXdGTQIHfayA-wQ_AUICygC&biw=1680&bih=908

• Like 1

I didn't cut my tunnel but the previous owner did. I'd line it up on the group or risen on a jack with the transmission that you have (if you have the motor mounted). From there, draw a point where the center of your new hole with be (should be directly up from the center of the shifter in Neutral). From there, cut a square or circular hole with that center in mind. 

Worst case scenario, cut a small (like 3 inch around) hole and make your way larger from there until you have full range of shifter motion. 

At least that's what I'd do without prior guidance on measurements pertaining to your exact transmission motor setup. 

• Like 1