I have Datsuns and I'm stuck

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of the 1200 and concentrate on the truck

I'm not getting rid of the 1200 nobody will give me the price I want for it also how many 1971 Datsun 1200 two-door sedans do you think there are in America not many

• Like 3

Anyway I'm a real person just trying to get my cars roadworthy I want to make myself better and learn something I'm just tired of being ripped off that's why I let the car sit from my last postings or 5 years ago I could have easily changed my username and made a new account and pretend I'm someone else

I'm on the internet because I am at work right now I work in the eveningShouldn't you be working if at work instead of being on the internet ???????????

I know you're a long-standing member and I've been reading your messages for years what are you the kind of guy that will find out where someone works and be a snitch

We're still in America or not in communist China

My manager is love my work

What you should do is get a can of starter fluid, put a few sprays down the carb, and try to fire it. Only then will you have any information for us to go off of. I’m about 75 miles from manteca too, only I’m to the east, otherwise I’d offer to help in person. Try to fire it and let us know exactly what it does.

Side note: don’t pay much attention to rick rat, he’s like herpes...he pops up occasionally and annoys the shit out of you for a week or two, then you don’t hear from him for a while. And just like herpes, he’s impossible to get rid of.

I know you're a long-standing member and I've been reading your messages for years what are you the kind of guy that will find out where someone works and be a snitch

We're still in America or not in communist China

My manager is love my work

Have you ever heard about a joke, or just kidding around. Don't be so serious, I don't care what you do at work :yawn:

• Like 1

What you should do is get a can of starter fluid, put a few sprays down the carb, and try to fire it. Only then will you have any information for us to go off of. I’m about 75 miles from manteca too, only I’m to the east, otherwise I’d offer to help in person. Try to fire it and let us know exactly what it does.

Side note: don’t pay much attention to rick rat, he’s like herpes...he pops up occasionally and annoys the shit out of you for a week or two, then you don’t hear from him for a while. And just like herpes, he’s impossible to get rid of.

I'm sure my Datsun truck will start it always starts even when it sits for a couple years

I'm going to shoot a video for YouTube on Sunday while it's running

• Like 1

Oh what the hell, I'll throw 2 cents out there too.

Forget the 1200 for the time being. I mean it is in pieces right? So not close to being a driver.

Make a list of the things that need to be done to the truck. Decide which items you have the ability to fix/correct. As you fix them, scratch them off of the list. The things that need to be fixed/corrected that are above your comfort/mechanical ......see if you can find a competent shop in your area that can do the work.

GO to the car show (but not in your truck, is does not sound safe), take a note book and talk to some of the people that have trucks like yours.  Most people love to talk about their vehicles and most are willing to tell you how they did something in particular.  Take notes. Hit up a couple different people, if you try to get one person to explain the whole truck they may blow you off. Unless they have the patience of Job.

Tackle the smaller easier things first and work your way up in difficulty of the repair. Meaning; Well, I replaced the fuel filter so I'm gonna try the fuel pump. After a few successes with the smaller repairs you should build some confidence to move on to the more difficult.

I say all of this because I am the same age as you. Never took a shop class, never really understood how engines work, still can't quite figure out electrical issues (see KELMO'S Coupe build thread for a little insight).  I built my first 1200 over the course of 4 or 5 years(then, after driving it for 4 or 5 tore it apart to help finish the second one).  It also took about 4 or 5 years to complete the second one.  Get a service manual for your vehicle. Pick out a repair you think you can handle.  Read through the process a couple times and look at the truck while you are reading through. By doing this you will become more familiar with it and hopefully more confident about working on it.  Believe me when I say I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. However, if my dumbass can do it, you should be able to also.  Once I have finished the grey 1200(for the second time) I have 2 510's that need to be done. Am I intimidated about doing them? Oh hell yes but I own 'em and, like you, don't want to sell them.

• Like 3

About 10 years ago when my 1971 Datsun 1200 sedan was on the street my wife caught me staring at the car like it was a cheeseburger a piece of pizza or a hot girl.

That's the look we all have.

So you ditched the wife and still don't have a running datsun?

I have had 3 since, although the wagon she smashed still needs love.

Quick update the battery is dead I have it on the charger

This is one thing that surprised me I have no clutch

I used to have a couple inches of clutch now there's nothing pedddles at the floor

I even forgot do I need to have the clutch in before I start the car with these older cars

I'm hoping I can charge the battery and start the truck in neutral

I can't believe it I wasn't expecting the clutch not to work it does have fluid

Batteries need to be used to stay charged up. Sitting for a year is no good.

Master may have failed or just needs bleeding the air out. Hard or flex line or the slave may have leaked. This would still leave fluid in the master.

You can start it with the clutch pedal down but it's not a good practice. Instead, place transmission in neutral with clutch engaged and start.

That's probably what happened I replace the clutch slave cylinder myself a couple years ago

Glad to know that I can start the car in neutral

I don't think this truck is going to be ready by next week

I wanted some people to look at it to give me some advice on where to start

If it would be worth fixing the body work

I have aftermarket fenders Hood vallase even a brand new aftermarket bumper

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if it's worth it financialally to fix body work unless your gonna sell it, all that matters is it worth it to you too fix the body work? If it's worth it to you in terms of self image and stuff then do it if not then don't. And can you fix it without literally replacing all the metal on the truck...........

Borrow a battery from a different datsun and try to crank it? That's what I always do.......

• Like 2

Take a walk around video and pics. Bring them to datslocos and ask some people what they think. Datslocos is a friendly bunch, as are most people that are into Datsuns. You can get ideas by looking at all the vehicles there and interact with chill people.

• Like 1