E85, IS It Plant Juice Power, Or Fuel System Eating Acid From Hell

If necessity is the mother of invention, than the oil industry is it's fratricidal child. Throughout history many superior technologies have been suppressed in the protection of power and profit. For every honest article I've found about e85 I've found 5 pieces of disinformation, and even outright lies about ethanol. 

In all reality, there isn't enough water or area on this planet to grow the amount of sucrose into ethanol needed to meet humanity's current power needs. To really make a dent reducing our consumption of fossil fuels it would take massive re design of our infrastructure and multiple forms of alternative energy. Not to mention the amount of political capital it would take to overturn Big Oil's money cart. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If necessity is the mother of invention, than the oil industry is it's fratricidal child. Throughout history many superior technologies have been suppressed in the protection of power and profit. For every honest article I've found about e85 I've found 5 pieces of disinformation, and even outright lies about ethanol. 

In all reality, there isn't enough water or area on this planet to grow the amount of sucrose into ethanol needed to meet humanity's current power needs. To really make a dent reducing our consumption of fossil fuels it would take massive re design of our infrastructure and multiple forms of alternative energy. Not to mention the amount of political capital it would take to overturn Big Oil's money cart. 

The future I guess will entail us virtually working our job and shop/grow from home, so we can eliminate the Load on oil demand.

Then we can just need to get fuel for personal use like vacationing, and other things.

Not mentioning Commercial fueling as who knows how that will need restructuring.

But on a 10acre plot, we should be able to make it self sufficient food wise and produce your own fuel for trips over a period of time.

I'm thinking at some point we will need to digress just to sustain ourselves without dependance.

If there is ever an upheaval that disrupts society and Govt, I see survivalist being: Homeless, ghettos, and Amish :P

Do you have any idea how much fuel it takes to produce crops on 10 acres ?

Not even sure you could raise enough corn to turn into fuel to run the tractor to plow, disk, drag, plant, then harvest the corn.

Maybe a half dozen wind turbines to run an electric tractor.

Wow, wouldn't it be fun to live under all them.

Bottom line, small farms don't hardly cut it any longer.

The 1920s are gone (my grand father had 80 acres, and it barely paid the bills, paid for new (used) equipment, etc., etc.).

And that required long hard hours, every day....

Only thing that is going to save us if you stop letting the rest of the world (who for the most part, have no idea what birth control is) into this country, and sterilize the ones who are already here.

I see people families that have lots of kids, and one, maybe two people earning money, and they just keep popping the litters out.

And all these people are the ones who vote for people who promise a chicken in every pot, and free cell phones, etc..

Do you have any idea how much fuel it takes to produce crops on 10 acres ?

Not even sure you could raise enough corn to turn into fuel to run the tractor to plow, disk, drag, plant, then harvest the corn.

Maybe a half dozen wind turbines to run an electric tractor.

Wow, wouldn't it be fun to live under all them.

Bottom line, small farms don't hardly cut it any longer.

The 1920s are gone (my grand father had 80 acres, and it barely paid the bills, paid for new (used) equipment, etc., etc.).

And that required long hard hours, every day....

Only thing that is going to save us if you stop letting the rest of the world (who for the most part, have no idea what birth control is) into this country, and sterilize the ones who are already here.

I see people families that have lots of kids, and one, maybe two people earning money, and they just keep popping the litters out.

And all these people are the ones who vote for people who promise a chicken in every pot, and free cell phones, etc..

Bottom line, production cost for ethanol 7 years ago was $1.71 per gallon, today it's $1.22 and declining. The average cost to drill ship and refine a gallon of gas is $0.98 a gallon and rising. 

G-Duax, I fucked up and let the conversation veer into the politics of energy, my bad. That doesn't mean you can take the ball and run with it into your views on immigration and population control. This thread isn't Cuz 2.0, the topic is ethanol fuel G, so stick to that. 

• Like 1

Agreed, let's just not mention anything remotely political.

Moon-shine, clear, grain alcohol (Ethanol) has been made way before powered equipment was around.

Anything that can be a sugar/dextrose: Corn is just common, mainly because its feed stock and for Corn Syrup for beverage companies.

Switchgrass Uses section near bottom is very informative for BioFuel= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panicum_virgatum

Digress as in not using natural resources unless you are providing them yourself, using wind/water regenerative power on the farm, and doing alot of the till work with animal power.

Make your own Ethanol for trips during the week, i dont see why you couldnt design and live a self-sustaining life and make money.

Let us know how that works out.

When do you plan on starting a batch?

We got it GDuax, you disagree with nl320what, so you can save the snarky shit and communicate like a big boy now. I copped to my mistake in letting the conversation veer into the politics of energy. With all due respect, AGAIN I'm asking both you and nl320what to stick to the OP of this thread.

In the interest of our new Ratsun 2.0 nonpolitical act, I'll define the conversation before it starts: This is not a tree hugging anti fossil fuel rant, this is about the search for performance. I've run into so many people who think that because ethanol is an eco-friendly renewable fuel it's somehow subversive. These same haters were saying the same thing about Datsuns a few years back. Personally if it makes my car go faster I couldn't give a flying fuck where it comes from or who it threatens.

This thread isn't about the viability of ethanol for the broader market's use, rather as an alternative race fuel.

IF you have experience running it, tuning for it, building the right fuelsystem for it, etc, please contribute.

• Like 1

I plan on doing a KA24DE-T build at some point.  Here in the rockies, our pump gas only goes up to 91.  So, E85 presents itself as a valid option for a turbo build.  Any thoughts on how E85 plays with high altitude?  Also, how does E85 work with Cunifer lines?  Would this material standup to the corrosiveness of E85?

Thanks

I plan on doing a KA24DE-T build at some point.  Here in the rockies, our pump gas only goes up to 91.  So, E85 presents itself as a valid option for a turbo build.  Any thoughts on how E85 plays with high altitude?  Also, how does E85 work with Cunifer lines?  Would this material standup to the corrosiveness of E85?

Thanks

You can get e85 up in the Rockies? :thumbup:  As long as you have the car tuned properly, ethanol is the same as gas. You always want more oxygen, but your MAF, and ECU will adjust for what ever. 

If you're talking nickel copper alloy from Fedhill it will resist corrosion. Although it will stand up to the task I've had more than one reliable source tell me it shouldn't be used for high pressure fuel, because it's easily crushed. That being said, it seems to do just fine for break lines, so... Steal braided line are safer but pricy. There are cheeper options like this 5-layer ethanol resistant 3/8" rubber fuel hose, but that's still $3.20 a ft. https://quadrajetparts.com/ethanol-compatible-fuel-hose-foot-p-374.html

Best of luck on that Turbo KA. 

Thanks

BTW, it's helpful to put your location and cars in your info. that way we can better answer your question. 

Peace,